support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Trevor James Custom

andyjb

Hi everyone,

Can anyone let me know the difference between the Trevor James signature custom and custom raw? I know the raw has great reviews but have found nothing on the signature custom which I think was it's predecessor. Is it considered an intermediate or pro sax - good for a relative beginner?

Thanks again,

Andy

The custom raw is in full name signature custom raw. The signature custom was available in different finishes in the beginning eg lacquered, silver and raw. Now it seems only raw and raw xs finishes are on offer. However, there was a forerunner model also called signature custom. They can easily be distinguished by the embossed logo on the bell. Current model: SC; forerunner: jjj. I was offered a jjj model and contacted Trevor James about the differences to the SC model. They said the jjj is comparable to their current SR model which is an intermediate horn. Look out for the SC logo and you will be on the safe side.

Alphorn

Forgot to mention. There was also a prior signature custom model that had Signature Custom on the bell in a weired writing. Don't know what pills marketing was taking when they selected the logo.

Alphorn

You are right it is tjj and not jjj. There is one, tenor, on ebay UK right now.
The weird writing is signature custom and looks like grafitti style. Different to the signature series.

Alphorn

Here your go. Knew I saw it somwhere on the web

That's the one. I spoke to Trevor James supplier today who tell me that when sold all the signature custom models were considered to be pro level models - I guess the design changes but the target market remains the same. Would they be ok for a relative beginner?

The custom raw is in full name signature custom raw. The signature custom was available in different finishes in the beginning eg lacquered, silver and raw. Now it seems only raw and raw xs finishes are on offer. However, there was a forerunner model also called signature custom. They can easily be distinguished by the embossed logo on the bell. Current model: SC; forerunner: jjj. I was offered a jjj model and contacted Trevor James about the differences to the SC model. They said the jjj is comparable to their current SR model which is an intermediate horn. Look out for the SC logo and you will be on the safe side.

Alphorn

I saw and tried a lacquered bronze bodied RAW a couple of weeks ago. It's a new addition to the range...and very nice it is too.

As far as I know they're still making the alternative finish models - but these will be under the Signature Custom (SC) banner rather than the RAW (which relates to the absence of lacquer/plating).

Hi all. Sorry to re-open an old thread. I'm contemplating upgrading my alto to a Trevor James Signature Custom. The Raw doesn't appeal to me cosmetically, but it's how it plays that really counts so could settle. My dream finish would be red phosphor bronze lacquer, but no one stocks these, so it would likely be a case of order one and wait. There are some regular gold lacquer instruments in stock for sale.

The RAW XS seems a little pointless to me as surely in time it would look the same as a regular RAW -or am I missing something? I'm hoping someone like @Stephen Howard might be able to advise on new current models

So my question is: are there any real differences or is it all cosmetic?

Hi all. Sorry to re-open an old thread. I'm contemplating upgrading my alto to a Trevor James Signature Custom. The Raw doesn't appeal to me cosmetically, but it's how it plays that really counts so could settle. My dream finish would be red phosphor bronze lacquer, but no one stocks these, so it would likely be a case of order one and wait. There are some regular gold lacquer instruments in stock for sale.

The RAW XS seems a little pointless to me as surely in time it would look the same as a regular RAW -or am I missing something? I'm hoping someone like @Stephen Howard might be able to advise on new current models

So my question is: are there any real differences or is it all cosmetic?
Don't settle. Buy the horn you really want or spend years on GAS.

Have you played the TJ? I bought a Raw new and didn't like it one bit.
Opinions differ of course.
Play the field a bit?

I'll play some other horns in the same price range for sure before parting with any cash. Obviously Yamaha 62 would be on my list and perhaps a Yanagisawa. If there are any in my budget.

My teacher has a Raw and we sometimes swap horns for a lesson. I like the Raw for a lot of reasons. It is similar to my SR -the ergonomics are nearly identical but everything is just a little better finished and more precise and it shows in the way it plays.

I hated his previous Selmer Sa80: just picking it up before playing, it just felt flimsy and the action was inconsistent and the springing set overly light. I'm aware this could probably be adjusted. It played ok but I just didn't like anything about it.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom