Tutorials

Saxophones Travel sax

Mike James

This is interesting... I wonder how well it will play?

-<mike>-

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator

-<mike>-
Probably like other wind controllers - it will all depend on the samples or synth sounds you use.

Can the mouthpiece control pitch or vibrato?

"Not yet. maybe in the Travel Sax 2.0."

"You need to put the reed slightly down so it doesn't vibrate to avoid making sound."

Last edited:

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber

-<mike>-
Very interestimg. Still raising funds on Kickstarter.
I wonder if they only have prototype or have they made a few.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
That probably wouldn't mean much, it is basically a MIDI wind controller (NOT a saxophone) so it all depends on what sound library you use it with.
Perhaps, but as an advert for fundraising and for grabbing peoples attention, there's only so much footage of a guy silently noodling his fingers around before the 'meh' factor kicks in.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
Perhaps, but as an advert for fundraising and for grabbing peoples attention, there's only so much footage of a guy silently noodling his fingers around before the 'meh' factor kicks in.
I agree, the video is unhelpful in that hearing lots of tracks of actual saxophone while demonstrating a wind controller could be misleading, even though we know it isn't the real sound, seems a bit out of order. Also it must have cost them a bit for the rights to use those tracks on a promo video.

Greg Strange

The sopranino works well as a travel sax. Fits into a backpack and no problem with being hand luggage. Some cases are unnecessairly large so I made a case out of bamboo that's only slightly longer than the horn (53 cm or 21"). View attachment 12631
Wade , how do you get on with Customs carrying that between Australia and New Zealand? You may end up on the "Border Security" T.V. program..."Yes sir/ ma'am I have a saxophone in my bamboo case" - Yeah, right!:rofl:

Greg S.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Wade , how do you get on with Customs carrying that between Australia and New Zealand? You may end up on the "Border Security" T.V. program..."Yes sir/ ma'am I have a saxophone in my bamboo case" - Yeah, right!:rofl:

Greg S.
Hey Greg. Yea, you'd be right about there being concern about anything like bamboo, but it's not got any evidence of bugs or things they would be concerned about. I don't use that case for travel to Australia anyway as I have a sopranino (as well as tenor, alto and soprano) over there. I use the bamboo for carrying the sopranino around NZ and when going to Europe (if not taking the big case with the three saxes in it). Not been a problem so far as it's hardly a rank old pin-hole borer ridden thing. I would have suspected that coming back into NZ would be the main problem, but hey, I grew the bamboo here...it's just coming home with whatever bugs originated here! Knock on wood?

Anyway, the point is you can carry around a REAL sax quite easily if it's a sopranino. No ersatz sax or EWI required! I've used the sopranino in Germany, Norway, Spain, Portugal, Canada and UK. No worries about checking in a valuable instrument and the potential for breakage. In some cases it may be possible to take other saxes as hand luggage as well, but you'd need to check with the airline as most of the others are over the size limit. The sopranino fits in my day pack, along with a whole lot of other stuff. No batteries, amplifier, etc. required, just a bit of puff.

randulo

Europe
Subscriber
I bought the curved soprano because it's lighter and easier to travel with, mostly for practicing. As for the travel sax concept, I paid a lot for a Kickstarter "travel guitar" and I can't say it's going to work for me. Ironically, the sounds are better than any saxophone sampler can be. However, as a practice instrument, an electronic sax that feels like a sax would be great, regardless of the sound. But then it would have to be the machine that is the saxophone, which can't be cheap, except for the cheap curved soprano I recently acquired. Even that was 400€, though.

Top Bottom