All profit supporting   special needs music

transposing music from C instruments to Eb alto sax, from minor scales

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
Here is some information about the "didgeridoo" from the UNSW acoustics website. It is a fascinating instrument in the way it involves the player's vocal tract as well as the body tube of the instrument.
Kind of Mongolian throat singing with added tube amplifier... ?

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
The digerithingmajig isn't an orchestral instrument. I would assume that each one has its own pitch centre. I suppose they could be made and cut to length to conform to western ideas of pitch.
The sitar is capable of pitch morphology and can tune to many tone centres. Indian music has notorious micro scales between what we would call a semitone.
Sitar, digeridoo and a beginner on saxophone sounds like a recipe for complaints from the neighbours.

999. Police please. Yes...hello...please come at once...my neighbour is trying to kill a cow with a chain saw. ;)

Zugzwang

Locality
United Kingdom
As you are talking about multiple challenges @Lumipumi , maybe the best way forward is to get the notes from the video on the sax by ear, and then write them down on manuscript paper - this dispenses with the problem of transposition because the note names in any sax chart will be “ready transposed”. Good luck.

Greg Strange

Locality
Hamilton, Waikato, North Island, New Zealand
this question is kinda very off topic, but I just wonder, a friend of mine he has a Sitar that he says is tuned in C#, this is a indian string instrument, and he sais he had to tune it to C#, because he is playing with a friend who plays the didgeridoo that according to him only plays in C#, what IM wondering about as me with a Eb alto sax, if I am to jam or play with those, which key or scale should I be playing in? :) and do any of you know what their concert C pitch is by any chance? :)

I have a feeling the indigenous Aboriginal Australian didjeridu player wouldn't give a flying toss what key he or her is playing in...blowing on the old eucalyptus tree long before Western music was ever invented...didjeridu players are masters of circular breathing...didjeridu in a modern context below...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSNxFGW09Mo

Greg S.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Circular breathing is a massive skill. Breathing in with one lung whilst breathing out with the other takes enormous diaphragm control.

John Setchell

Locality
Norfolk UK
Let me ask why you need to transpose this in the first place. The top line which I assume is the melody falls in a comfortable range for the saxophone except measures 45 and 51 where some notes go too low. If you are not playing this with a piano accompaniment, or a recorded backing track changing the key is unnecessary. If you want to transpose it just for practice or to learn how, that is a good reason to do it too.
Had a private jam with my band last night. I was excused keyboard duties for a couple of numbers to blow my tenor - first time “live”...
It quickly became clear to me that I needed a cheap & cheerful scales cribb-sheet, as the guitarist asked “What key do we do this in?” And the singer chirped in “I can’t bl**dy sing it in that!”
- transposing required on-the-fly.
Attached is what I’ve come up with, with blue notes indicated for sax appeal!

Attachments

• A6772074-457A-4683-9440-CCCAF18BC412.jpeg
    A6772074-457A-4683-9440-CCCAF18BC412.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 14