Tutorials

Transposing backing tracks

Mamos

I bought a book today but it is for alto and i play tenor

My wife has an alto but I would prefer to use my own horn

Is there a piece of software that can alter the key of MP3s without altering the tempo?

Cheers

mamos

losaavedra

Audacity will do it, in either direction, for however many semi-tones you choose. Load the original mp3, do a 'select all', go to effects and select pitch change, select some number of semitones up or down relatively from what's there at present, save the result as an mp3 (with a different name else it will overwrite the original). To save as mp3 you probably need to have the lame add-on (which like Audacity itself is also free). Personally I've found upping the pitch better than lowering it else things might get a bit graunchy!!! Hope helps ...

Phil Edwards

Audacity will do it, in either direction, for however many semi-tones you choose. Load the original mp3, do a 'select all', go to effects and select pitch change, select some number of semitones up or down relatively from what's there at present, save the result as an mp3 ...
I never knew that. I've used audacity for ages and love it, but never found that. Just shows, we get stuck in doing the bits we want to, and never find all the other goodies.

Top tip, Mike, I'm gonna go and play with that.

Phil

OP
Mamos

Mamos

Just found some plug ins for winamp

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/search/pitch

mamos

Last edited by a moderator:

losaavedra

Another thing I've found it useful to do with my backing track collection is to change the name to include the key and tempo on the front of each file name. So I have, for example, a file named Eb_090 - Emily.mp3 and another file with the key shifted down called C#_090 - Emily.mp3 that's a couple of semitones lower. Also I change the internal name (that WinAmp uses in its displayed playlist) using the 'I' facility in WinAmp.

The general result of providing the same tunes, but in different keys, all piled into the same directory, is that Windows Explorer conveniently then lists the whole lot in tune name within tempo within key order. When practicing I usually concentrate on a specific key within a particular session and I can see at a glance what's coming up ... without having to remember which version is in what key!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom