support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Transposing (again) when a child is born Johnny Mathis

eb424

Locality
london
Morning all,

I bought the sheet music as I fancied having a go at the above title....but....

The problem with it is that there are 2xs low As in the score....I transposed it up 2 ( bought it already done) in the original key it is now in Eb major...I couldn't see those darn A's as you can only see page 1 til it is purchased.... would I be better of playing bottom B and keeping it as it is or moving the whole score up one....in which case would F become F# G become G# and A become Bb etc i.e. do i just move up 1 step but 1/2 step if there is a sharp or flat in the chromatic scale...Thanks Eddie

You could buy a Selmer markVI alto and find one that has low A, or a Bari again to low A>:)>:)

Only joking Eddie

I haven't seen the sheet music but could you not play it up the octave in the same key or does it have high notes that would put it out of the range.
Again I don't know where you got your music from but if it was a online sheet music supplier many allow you to change the key before downloading it.

You could buy a Selmer markVI alto and find one that has low A, or a Bari again to low A>:)>:)

Only joking Eddie

I haven't seen the sheet music but could you not play it up the octave in the same key or does it have high notes that would put it out of the range.
Again I don't know where you got your music from but if it was a online sheet music supplier many allow you to change the key before downloading it.
LOL....now there's a thought....excuse my stupidity @jazzdoh how do i play it up an octave in the same key????....I bought it fom sheet music direct and wanted the same key so as I could play to the original track, there is soooo much talking... I chose to move it up 2 for tenor without realising there are a couple of sneaky low As... would the next key up be e. major.. its currently Eb major Thanks confused as usual....

So providing its not too high you could play the low A as an A1 first octave and so on just move all notes up an octave,
the problem with this is if you have notes above G2 then this won't be possible.
Sheet Music direct allows you to pick your key, but this will cause a problem if you have the backing track with the original key.
Invest in IReal Pro and you can change the key of your backing tracks too.

looking at the circle of fiths the next key up is Bb major is this right??

So providing its not too high you could play the low A as an A1 first octave and so on just move all notes up an octave,
the problem with this is if you have notes above G2 then this won't be possible.
Sheet Music direct allows you to pick your key, but this will cause a problem if you have the problem of a backing track with the original key.
Invest in IReal Pro and you can change the key of your backing tracks too.
is that for I phone???
Sorry @jazzdoh I struggle with G2 A A1 etc do you mean just play with the octave key on?? excuse my ignorance...will resume lessons in the new year... Does the circle of fiths give the major and minor keys in order i.e. if the copy I have is in Eb major the next one up on the circle is Bb major...do all the naturals just move up one and change to a sharp or flat if that is the next progression in the chromatic scale? Thanks Eddie

Last edited:
IReal pro is for iPhone and Android, it will give you the chord sheet and you download thousands of generated backing tracks.
A1 is A without octave key, G2 is G with octave key on.

IReal pro is for iPhone and Android, it will give you the chord sheet and you download thousands of generated backing tracks.
A1 is A without octave key, G2 is G with octave key on.
err whats g1 where do you learn this stuff...

G1 is G without the octave key.
Think of these as 1 being the low or first register and 2 being the high or second register.

In general, and am not arguing, with what jazzdoh is saying. But to avoid future confusion (or to confuse things further): there's a thing called "scientific pitch notation" in which concert middle C is C4 making low C on tenor C2 (concert).

(For maximum confusion; Yamaha pianos call middle C C3...)

Then, apparently this song has a concert range of G2-D4

Which should fit comfortably on the tenor A (no octave) to high, palmkeys, E
Sooo - and someone might check my reasoning - your music should be good to go. Just; look at where it says Low A on the staff, think of that as your normal A (no octave) and work your way up from there.

Last edited:
Hmm work your way up...
Play the scale of the key of your sheet music, from A (sax) up to high (palm, octave) E, and down 10 times. Then arpeggios 10x. Them's your notes... If my calculations etc. are correct.

Last edited:
If you're transposing up a whole tone then Everything goes up a whole tone. 2 semitones.
Transposing down a whole tone everything everything goes down a whole tone. 2 semitones.
Naming the fingerings is quite simple. The lowest one available is 1. The next one is 2 and so on.
So G1 is lh123. G2 is lh123 plus octave key.
Some notes have three available. Some only two. Unless you go altissimo.

In general, and am not arguing, with what jazzdoh is saying. But to avoid future confusion (or to confuse things further): there's a thing called "scientific pitch notation" in which concert middle C is C4 making low C on tenor C2 (concert).
Yes you right, this is mainly used for piano because of the multiple octaves the instrument has.

Colin is also correct because when you are dealing with sax it only has 21/2 octaves not including altissimo.

And yet looking at the range of the song as sung required reading A2 conventionally, not sax specifically. Since we don't have his sheet music and I can't bring myself to listen to the song....
It appears we landed in the right place, no? If the info above is the same as EBs recording... It all works. No need for a new sax.

Last edited:
Just realised that I may of messed up and the lowest note is b1 need to go to spec savers or get back to my lessons...since I started the thread I may as well learn something...so if it was a low a (a1) i.e. none existent are there 2 options if I want to play with the original backing track (ish) well three if I just play a low b...If i take the low A up to a low b and do the same with all the notes would this be ok? Also say the next part of the phrase contained a c and a d do these become C# and d# or D and E. Does the circle of fifths show the progression of the major and minor keys? the song in question is in Eb major so is the next key up Bb major as on the circle..... :confused2: