support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

transposing again...Sweet Caroline

eb424

Locality
london
Morning all, more of the usual stuff I buy the score from SMD... For some reason this time I thought I would check, original song is in C major but they have the original published key as A major. Am I missing something or should i just buy the transposed copy in C major and then transpose for tenor into D...

Thanks in advance

I don't know which key Neil Diamond sang it in - though he may have changed this in later years of course if too high. Often, the sheet music is transposed to an easier "key for all". I think it would work well on sax in D.

I don't know which key Neil Diamond sang it in - though he may have changed this in later years of course if too high. Often, the sheet music is transposed to an easier "key for all". I think it would work well on sax in D.
thanks @Pete Effamy ...alto or tenor...

Maybe it's a "relative minor" thing?
Just because the key signature may be A, doesn't tell you it's A major... What are the cords?

A# E# D# starts bottom C D EE 16th notes "where it began" sorry I dont know c1 d2 etc...

Concert A or C ... and I just saw info that said the concert key is B major. A rare key. Phil Spector wrote songs in i concert B and some other blues guys as well. Concert B is C#/Db on tenor, G#/Ab on alto. I would learn it in concert C.

Thanks am I thinking then that if the original is in concert c and I played it in D on the tenor that is the natural transposition for the original to tenor...

Thanks am I thinking then that if the original is in concert c and I played it in D on the tenor that is the natural transposition for the original to tenor...
If you want a pianist or a guitarist to play with you then yes, they can use the music that you bought.

Where does the singer want it? Put it there.

You can certainly copy Neil Diamond's original album release. I would guess that today, at the age of 80, he's not singing it in the same key as he did 50 years ago.

Maybe call the Red Sox and find out what key and what recording they use?

It's your choice what key to play it in, unless you have a singer.

Sat in with a non reading rhythm section with a guest singer. She gave us the song list and the keys she wanted them in. A and E ang G. The band leader nodded sagely. As she left the trumpet player piped up.
"I don't play well in A and E."
"It's ok replied the pianist. The piano is a semi tone flat anyway." :)

Back
Top Bottom