All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
ArtistWorks

Transcription software or app - Does this exist?

Ang

Subscriber
Is there a software or app that will pick out separate instruments and transcribe? I am desparately wanting to play along the all the odds, rock and roll stuff [in the privacy of my own lounge while pretending I,m on stage with gene Vincent and not a nearing pension age lady]. tried working it out myself but very hit and miss and I can’t write music

thanks In advance

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Is there a software or app that will pick out separate instruments and transcribe? I am desparately wanting to play along the all the odds, rock and roll stuff [in the privacy of my own lounge while pretending I,m on stage with gene Vincent and not a nearing pension age lady]. tried working it out myself but very hit and miss and I can’t write music

thanks In advance
Nope

Nothing that is less work than learning to transcribe music yourself

There are transcribed sax solos out there and lots of sites that provide sheet music

Wonko

My wife was looking for something like that. I searched for an app that could do this. Found different possibilities (some rather expensive, some free).
I found a free app (for windows) that sounded promising. My wife tried it out, she said it wasn't accurate enough to be usable.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
Transcribe is good. It won't separate out all the instruments perfectly but I believe it will now often give you a very good guess:

NB: I'm editing the subject to be more descriptive so as to get a better chance of some more answers and info)

EDIT: And now I have done that you can see some hits in the similar threads box below the thread so maybe I will merge this thread.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Transcribe is good. It won't separate out all the instruments perfectly but I believe it will now often give you a very good guess:

NB: I'm editing the subject to be more descriptive so as to get a better chance of some more answers and info)

EDIT: And now I have done that you can see some hits in the similar threads box below the thread so maybe I will merge this thread.
So Transcribe will help separate out the instruments so you can then do the transcription yourself?

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
So Transcribe will help separate out the instruments so you can then do the transcription yourself?
Last time I used it was about 15 years ago at which time it didn't have that note separation ability (I think maybe lead line and bass/chords possibly)

On their site they call it a guess, so not touted as perfect, but I believe it will help.

It could be same as Melodyne (licensed from) or something similar.

I remember an initial demo of melodyne polyphonic, they took an actual Beatles track and changed one of George Harrison's chords from major to minor.

rhysonsax

I use Transcribe! a lot and like it. How well it allows users to hear individual instruments depends on the recording, particularly where all the instruments are panned (from left to right) but also the recording quality and how "busy" it is.

Transcribe! lets you hear just the right, just the left or just the centre of a stereo track. But as far as I have found, the Keyboard pitch view that @Pete Thomas has shown above relates only to the full stereo recording and doesn't change when you listen to left/right/centre.

I find it easiest to hear a saxophone in a recording if there aren't lots of other instruments muddying things up, particularly those which have a similar frequency range.

Rhys

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
In a similar vein, I was trying to figure out how to take a multi-instrument score and digitize it to midi, in order to change the key, for example. The only thing I could think of was finding someone to read it and have them play it into midi software. AT that point, I'd have both midi and the score in digital format.

This is a good point to demonstrate how far we are from AI taking over the world. It'll be a while before any program can lift a single part from a Gene Vincent (or Bartok, or Bird) recording. I think we'll see flying cars first.

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
I find it easiest to hear a saxophone in a recording if there aren't lots of other instruments muddying things up, particularly those which have a similar frequency range.
I think there are some Coltrane albums where the sax is alone or nearly so on one channel only. Having just now listened to a couple, I see that there's almost no sax on one side and mostly, but not all sax on the other. Oh well...

rhysonsax

In a similar vein, I was trying to figure out how to take a multi-instrument score and digitize it to midi, in order to change the key, for example. The only thing I could think of was finding someone to read it and have them play it into midi software. AT that point, I'd have both midi and the score in digital format.

This is a good point to demonstrate how far we are from AI taking over the world. It'll be a while before any program can lift a single part from a Gene Vincent (or Bartok, or Bird) recording. I think we'll see flying cars first.
If you have a good printed score then there are Optical Character Recognition software products for music that can turn it (in PDF format) into computer notation and/or Midi. For instance a version of Photoscore came bundled with my Sibelius. It is OK, but this cut-down version has various limitations that mean there is still a lot of human input required to produce high quality digital output.

I have found when doing my saxophone transcriptions that there can be a lot of human decision-making required in producing a decent output. For instance sketching out the structure and bars, dealing with tempo variations, dealing with where the saxophonist plays around with different swing feels, hangs behind the beat etc. And then deciding how best to notate effects like ghosted notes, ornaments, articulations, etc. etc.

That means that if you give the same saxophone solo to different people to transcribe there are likely to be differences in how they notate it.

A different matter perhaps for transcribing some modern dance music that is quantised and at a fixed tempo and free of subtle human effects (did I say boring ?). AI might well be able to cope with that already and I guess it will make incremental progress towards doing an acceptable job with jazz saxophone solos.

Rhys

rhysonsax

I've just started on transcribing another saxophone solo, inspired by this month's BOTM. I realise that there is often much more rhythmic subtlety and nuance in a ballad performance than in a improvised solos on mid tempo or fast tune. This can make it harder to decide how to notate the rhythmic part of a ballad solo.

Rhys

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
Did you notice I found a YouTube transcription of Coleman Hawkins' version of the BotM?
In fact, the same gent has a whole collection of transcriptions:

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
@rhysonsax I'm curious as to what you think of his "style" of transcriptions, since they go from Bird to Brecker?

Last edited:

rhysonsax

Did you notice I found a YouTube transcription of Coleman Hawkins' version of the BotM?
In fact, the same gent has a whole collection of transcriptions:

Yes I did see that, thanks @randulo . I hadn't realised that he had done so many transcriptions.

The transcription of this Hawkins' solo is a case in point: other people would have transcribed it differently in terms of rhythm and ornamentation.

Rhys

rhysonsax

@rhysonsax I'm curious as to what you think of his "style" of transcriptions, since they go from Bird to Brecker?
I haven't really studied many of them. The ones I looked at don't seem to have chord changes marked and the Hawkins transcription looks quite "busy" in terms of rhythm. It would be interesting to study some and try playing along.

What do you make of them ?

Rhys

Jazzaferri

The point of transcribing something is to get the melodic line and associated harmony if any into your brain. Having a computer does it IMO slows down the learning process. Different if you are a pro and needing to get it done quickly for purposes other than learning.

i have a number of books of transcriptions and often find they are not quite as played. Something to be aware of

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom