support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Transcribing from tenor to alto

Ruby

I met someone at a gig last night who asked me for sheet music to the tune 'The Midnighter' by The Champs. I can write down the notes for tenor sax OK but they play an alto so want it written for alto. Can anyone let me know what I need to do to each note so it is right for the alto sax? Thanks all.

Phil Edwards

Drop each note by 5 semitones i.e. C in the tenor part becomes a G. In fact you might want to lift it up an octave, but either way a C becomes a G, work from there and you'll be OK.

You'll find that the key signature will have one more sharp, or one less flat.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:

jonf

Or just plonk the lot into Finale Notepad then you can transpose at will into any key you want. If they download it, (free) it can even play the tune back to them, albeit in a slightly stilted fashion.

old git

Tremendous Bore
It's not often that you are wrong Jon but this time YOU ARE! :)
Notepad is no longer free but available for a pittance. They do offer Reader, which displays Finale files and plays them.
Of course Finale PrintMusic is available from Jazzwise which earns Pete's charities a bit of loot.

jonf

It's not often that you are wrong Jon but this time YOU ARE! :)
Notepad is no longer free but available for a pittance. They do offer Reader, which displays Finale files and plays them.
Of course Finale PrintMusic is available from Jazzwise which earns Pete's charities a bit of loot.
Cobblers, Bill. :D(Used that word instead of an alternative, one of the oldest in the English language, in deferance to the family nature of this forum).

Actually, you're sort of right. Notepad 2009 costs the princely sum of $9.95, or just over a fiver, and you can't get any free versions other than a 30 day demo from Finale's website. However, there're plenty of suppliers of freeware from which you can download Notepad 2007 perfectly legally, and for free.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Cobblers, Bill. :D(Used that word instead of an alternative, one of the oldest in the English language, in deferance to the family nature of this forum).

Actually, you're sort of right. Notepad 2009 costs the princely sum of $9.95, or just over a fiver, and you can't get any free versions other than a 30 day demo from Finale's website. However, there're plenty of suppliers of freeware from which you can download Notepad 2007 perfectly legally, and for free.
I did say a pittance, Jon. However, I forgive you and as you pass Wednesday night wending your homeward way, drop in and clean my boots with your tongue. For once, I'm feeling strangely generous. ;} ;}

Top Bottom