support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Touring reed player from CA

oboeterry

Hi all,

My name is Terry and I play oboe, clarinet, sax, and flute. The main reason I'm joining is because I have been having some problems with my lower front teeth and found a couple of discussions here through a Google search. I plan on joining those threads, though they're a bit older, hopefully people will still reply :) Thanks and cheers!

Terry

Thanks you guys! Dave (saxyman; no autocorrect, *not* sexy man, haha!) and I are PMing about it; if others are interested (and if Dave doesn't mind), I'd be happy to make our conversation public. (I don't know how to tag people here...)

Terry :)

Good luck with your teeth. I have a partial bottom set, front four and a few molars. The night before the four in front were removed I played the saddest blues of my life, believing I wouldn't be able to play again. This was on trombone which presses a bit against the teeth. Seems to me that on sax your bite pushes teeth in deeper. Anyway, was playing again three days later and it wasn't hard to adapt. A dentist told me that if I had implants I wouldn't be able to play for 18 months while they settled in. Added to the huge cost this was enough to push me in the denture direction and no regrets. Had a lively 4 hour gig last night, no worries!
Important to ask how long you might have to stop playing, should you get implants. Maybe things have moved on since I had my £65k estimate many years ago....?

Good luck with your teeth. I have a partial bottom set, front four and a few molars. The night before the four in front were removed I played the saddest blues of my life, believing I wouldn't be able to play again. This was on trombone which presses a bit against the teeth. Seems to me that on sax your bite pushes teeth in deeper. Anyway, was playing again three days later and it wasn't hard to adapt. A dentist told me that if I had implants I wouldn't be able to play for 18 months while they settled in. Added to the huge cost this was enough to push me in the denture direction and no regrets. Had a lively 4 hour gig last night, no worries!
Important to ask how long you might have to stop playing, should you get implants. Maybe things have moved on since I had my £65k estimate many years ago....?

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, implants aren't an option for me, either financially or physically, as I don't have enough bone mass in the front of my lower jaw, so it would either need to be a denture or a partial bridge (which I'm leaning heavily toward). I have been working with a device that takes most of the weight of the instruments off my right wrist/ hand, and have been trying to slowly lighten up on my grip of the instruments. Hopefully this will prepare me for the eventual bridge. Thanks again.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom