All profit supporting   special needs music

Tough day at the office

ESJohn

Café Supporter
Locality
Ohio USA
Maybe this is a Murphy's Law situation:
I spent the morning tilling up our garden for an hour or so. Had to get cleaned up for the afternoon's activities.
Our final rehearsal in preparation for the Memorial Day concert on Monday was scheduled to begin at 2:30 this afternoon. I got to the site (the military air museum that we use twice monthly) just after 2 pm, one of the very first band members to get there. Great! I'll have time to warm up and break in my new reed a little more before we get into the music together.
Wearing blue jeans and a casual shirt, went up the stairs to the rehearsal room. The air conditioning wasn't running--humid! I should have worn cooler clothing!
Open the case--no neck strap as I had left it at home after practicing yesterday instead of putting it away in the case. Ok--we were scheduled to rehearse until 4:30. I know! I'll call my wife and ask her to bring it to the building. I can run downstairs and pick it up when she arrives. Of course, the time is now 2:30 and they have started without me. I'll just try to play the best I can holding the sax while bearing the full weight of the horn until she calls.
One-half hour into the session, I get the call (phone was muted but I saw her name pop up.) Just a few minutes before that, I also receive a business call from one of our vendors. He can barely hear me when I answer the phone since the rehearsal is in full swing at the time and I run out of the room so as to minimize any disturbance I might cause the other members. Run down the stairs and look for her car. Not there! I receive a second call from her while I am standing in the parking lot. She tells me that she was in such a hurry to get going, she forgot to get the neck strap and she had made most of the trip by the time she realized the situation.
Run back up the stairs and work my way around the rest of the band members. I've now missed three of our music selections. There are four more to go so I just do the best I can holding the sax and trying to keep my fingers on the right keys while maintaining some sort of embouchure. My right thumb hurts, but I get through it all.
We finish at 4pm so I pack up the sax, fold my music stand and make a quick pit stop. Get back to the room where I am asked if I had lost my music. I had forgotten to pick it up when I got everything else. Good thing my name was on the binder and that someone was kind enough to set it aside for me and let me know!
The deltoid muscle on my right arm is stronger now and my thumb is a little sore.
The band sounds good so I'm glad that we can participate in the ceremonies. We were told that there will be a presentation of a medal to the family of a WW2 vet whose identity was discovered just two weeks ago. I guess any problems that I had today were minimal.

Jimmymack

Locality
London
For future reference, if you can find a shop nearby that sells neckties, preferably a Good Will shop, that will get you through.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Locality
KIC 8462852
For future reference, if you can find a shop nearby that sells neckties, preferably a Good Will shop, that will get you through.
Or, as with a broken fan belt, ask any lady present if you can borrow her tights.
Be sure to make the reason absolutely clear.

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
Sonny Rollins apparently used a wire coat hanger when he forgot his neck strap on one occasion.

It should be easy enough to bodge something together with shoe laces or similar, but I wouldn't trust my baritone to that.

Rhys

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
I'm a harness player so I put on my harness at home. I use a baritone harness for both tenor and baritone.

mizmar

Locality
Trondheim, Norway
Someone needs to email B&G: "please make the length the pull-through cord long enough to use as a neck strap"