Other Top Tips

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Cafe Moderator
I was chatting to @AlanU yesterday over an excellent coffee and a Yanagisawa Sop mouthpiece.

Amongst many varied and interesting subjects was a suggestion from him - somewhere to post useful tips that often aren't passed on. So here it is:

Please keep this thread on topic with sax related tips..

[Edit note - typo fixed. 'sax' added to on topic request to satisfy a smart alec]

Last edited:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Cafe Moderator
Benefits of reed rotation:
You always have reeds ready to play when one goes off
Your embouchure is more flexible due to playing a slightly different reed each time.
You don't get locked into a single Reed and struggle to adapt when the new one isn't the same as the tired old one.
You spot a dead reed more quickly.
Reeds last longer as you don't overplay them.

Benoit

About reeds trying to go a bit further, what would be your good tips to prepare them ? Immersed in water ? For how long ? What does work for you guys ?

SaxoFREAK

saX on the bEaCH..
Subscriber
Good tips guys, what might seem very easy for seasoned veterans can be confusing to the rest of us and sometimes us noobs feel embarassed asking them.. :cheers:

jbtsax

old and opinionated
Subscriber
Sitting or standing erect with good posture, balance the saxophone using only your thumbs. Adjust the length of the neckstrap so that the tip of the mouthpiece touches the curved area just above your chin. To play, tilt the head down slightly so that the mouthpiece enters the mouth. This insures good posture, and the mouthpiece entering the mouth at the correct angle.

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Benoit, there are lots of articles/videos on preparing reeds but this one on TTS sums it up well for me: How to Choose and Work on Cane Saxophone Reeds.
I try to break new reeds in gradually over about 5-7 days. In my (limited) experience I've found that it also depends on the brand. For example, I find most Ricoh reeds play pretty much straight out the box with little adjustment. I find Van Doren reeds slightly stiffer and take more time to break in. Softer reeds like Ricoh seem to wear out sooner than stiffer reeds like Van Doren.
About reeds trying to go a bit further, what would be your good tips to prepare them ? Immersed in water ? For how long ? What does work for you guys ?

Top Bottom