support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Top 40 Saxophone Solos

John Laughter

The year was 1955. The new Top 40 hits of Fats Domino, The El Dorados, Billy Vaughn, Bill Haley and the Comets, and Pat Boone were filling the airwaves and jukeboxes across the globe. Teenagers were tuning in and dancing to the new beat. In 1956, Little Richard, Johnny Dankworth, The Dells, Lord Rockingham’s XI, Ken MacIntosh, The Cadillacs, The Five Satins, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, and Bill Doggett also joined in and were recording the new Top 40 hits. It was an exciting time for many teenagers. International popular music was about to change forever, and one unique sound that was common to many hit records was the versatile styles of the saxophone.

Who were the musicians who inspired many of us to learn to play the sax during the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s? Where are they today?

Unfortunately, for many years in the world of pop music most session musicians were never given credit on the LP covers or CD liner notes. In some cases, had it not been for the studio musicians, the record might not have become a hit for the singer. Even in some recordings that used the singer’s own band, credit was not always given to those who made it happen.

In most historical documents there is room for error and misinformation. I have used Internet resources, email responses, and various books to confirm as many dates, names, and songs as possible. However, as I concluded the research and prepared this book to be published, I knew that an updated edition would follow in the future as more songs, names, and corrections surface.

If you have additional information to add to the future editions, please contact me at JSAXL -AT- aol.com and I will add your updates to the text. I hope we will one day have a complete and comprehensive account of these musicians.

The majority of the listed hits contain an obvious solo. However, a few of the hits have a dominant sax line in the background but no solo per se. According to the contributors the background sax line was a vital part of the song so it was added.

Let’s take a trip and go back in time. Do you remember that song and solo that inspired you to pick up the saxophone?

The History of Top 40 Saxophone Solos, 1955 through 2014

Now up to 2018. Send for a free copy. Over 500 pages.

Now up to 2019. Free copy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question Dave since it may not be clear. It is a list of the Top 40 hit songs (1955-2019), the sax player if known, bios, photos, emails, history. No transcriptions. If you have Facebook here is an example without the links to the Youtube samples;

Many thanks to Neil Sharpe for asking me to be a part of the new book which is now for sale on Amazon;
"Ride The Wild Wind: A History Of Rock Sax: Sound Clips, Interviews Kindle Edition."

Forbidden. Banned. Segregated. Jailed. Shot. Burned.
Even investigated by a Psychiatric Board!
But these musicians never backed down.
Welcome to the brave-hearted, defiant, breakthrough blues, r&b, rock n’ roll, county, soul, dub, funk, jazz, fusion, ska, techno, punk, metal, rap, hip hop, artists who…
Conquered the Charts. Conquered the World.

“Rock and roll is not a guitar, it’s not long hair—that’s not rock and roll. It ain’t about an instrument, or this or that. The blues is the start of it all. You add some rhythm to that blues and you have all kind of people that’s doing rock and roll. And that develops into hip-hop. All of it is a spirit—the spirit of coming outside of the box. -Ice Cube

Sound Clips. Exclusive Interviews. Transcripts. Scandals...And so much more.

spike I added the title but nothing came up. I will let you know what response Neil gets.

"Here's the listing for Germany. Probably will hear back from Amazon tomorrow, that's how long it usually takes."
Amazon.de

EUR
€8.04
without DE VAT