Toots and Jaco

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Many thanks for this clip, @randulo! It's magical! Jaco played (and recorded) with many of my favourite artists. His distinctive fretless bass 'sound' is still to be heard on many of my favourite LP's, CD's and YouTube clips. Surprisingly, this is the first time I discovered that also played jazz piano! And to my ear, pretty good too.

I've heard a couple of 'Toots's' classic recordings - he's a local (Belgian) - but I've never heard him play so freely and with such feeling as in this clip. I agree with @JayeNM's comment that there's a real personal and musical synergy between them. Different ages, different backgrounds, different temperaments, but they just seem to just hit it off together. I'll look up other clips/recordings that they made together.

Yet another 'gem' that I discovered via the cafe :)!

Mike
I've always found Toots to be a captivating artist and a good example of economy of notes, most of the time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qZQsFKclt8

OP
randulo

randulo

22 months since I began - 3.5% of my adult life
Subscriber
If you want to hear what I think is the quintessential (and I don't even know what that means) Toots, please listen to the theme from another café, Bagdad Café. At 2:00, Toots plays one of the most beautiful solos I've ever heard. There's a lesson in economy of notes, rhythm and spacing, tone, it's all there. These are great changes, too. Should be BOTM sometime.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCLpLWcX2cg

I looked up quintessential. I got it right!

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Beautiful, @randulo ! I agree with your comment about the solo being a lesson. Something I really like is that Toots's solo doesn't compete with the vocalist (chorus!) for 'attention'. His relatively subdued, simple, soulful and contrasting melody enhances the song. The same applies to his supporting long notes later on.

It's been said here often before but this is yet another great example of how a well-structured, expressively played yet simple solo often communicates much more than 'technical solos' that demonstrate ability. I love it when (musically aware, technically excellent, professional musicians) reduce things to the essentials and reach audiences by expressing (for them) simple music really well.

'cos I'm technically useless, solos like this one inspire me to express musicality without my fingers needing to fly over the keys :). I'm reminded of an interview with Sonny Rollins on 'practice'. His advice: learn to play one really well.

Mike
If you want to hear what I think is the quintessential (and I don't even know what that means) Toots, please listen to the theme from another café, Bagdad Café. At 2:00, Toots plays one of the most beautiful solos I've ever heard. There's a lesson in economy of notes, rhythm and spacing, tone, it's all there. These are great changes, too. Should be BOTM sometime.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCLpLWcX2cg

I looked up quintessential. I got it right!

OP
randulo

randulo

22 months since I began - 3.5% of my adult life
Subscriber
He's even a great whistler and guitarist! (Bluesette). It must be great, 80 thumbs down!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi4G6UmYK9U

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Funnily enough, we're playing 'My Funny Valentine' as part of our short, repeating, setlist tomorrow evening. This song is in there too. I didn't know the song beforehand but it's one in which our vocalist really excels. Jerry Nowak's arrangement has a long 20-bar intro (vocal with piano backing) which many Big Bands seem to omit) before the rhythm and BigBand kicks in. Pretty much 50% of our repertoire is vocal but this song is by far the most vocally expressive. It sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it. I usually count bars but for this intro it's impossible: everyone is is just spellbound by the vocalist and have to rely on our MD.. There are a lot of crappy videos on Youtube - most without the intro (although Ella Fitzgerald did do one').

I don't live in the UK so I don't watch 'Britain's got Talent'. Surprisingly, this YouTube version came closest to our vocalist's version (without the intro):

Last edited:

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
This was was the (I thought great) Joni Mitchell LP through which I discovered Jaco way back in 1978. It was was also the first LP that l I truly liked 'jazz' (with the exception of the Dudley Moore trio )

).

My bass player.. (you could say that she is Jaco fan.. Although that could be somewhat of an understatement) has reminded me of what is considered the ultimate Jaco bass intro.. I am inclined to agree!! Just listen to the Overture and then the Jaco funky.. Progression...BTW. turn up the speakers . Regards..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQyBPQzg0sI

Top Bottom