PPT

Beginner Sax Too good to be true?

PaulWhite

Woodwind Wannabe
Locality
Kent
So here we have a Selmer mark VI in 'excellent' condition:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Selmer-Ma...497191?hash=item25d253cca7:g:2BwAAOSw32lY1AOz
Selmer Mark VI (Mk 6) 1965 Tenor Saxophone Excellent Condition & Original Case | eBay

However it is about half the eBay average price (which could simply be a very good thing) but there is only one picture and the seller only has 3 feedback. When I asked for some more pictures to go on the listing they asked me to contact them directly.

Maybe I am just being cynical - am I missing a bargain or is it too good to be true? If you think the former then I run the risk of it being snapped up!

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
Arrange for a view see what he says, a few members on here live close to Preston and could possibly check it out for you

"The main issue is the horn sounds fantastic" :confused2:

brianr

Its a scam. 100%

That text, including the U2 nonsense is used all the time. a few days ago, it was in Swanage.

Im also looking for one, and watch ebay. I "bought" it once to see how they worked.

answer; "Bank transfer only "

ask him to come to view. the sax will suddenly be in the North of scotland.

dont waste your time.

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
Yes, it is almost certainly too good to be true. Craigslist has lots of adverts like this, and there have been a couple on Gumtree recently. As @brianr says, the way to be sure is to ask to come and test the sax. You would be amazed how many Selmer saxophones are temporarily located on remote Scottish islands.

sdt99

There's a beautiful King Super 20 Silversonic tenor in that listing for a pretty reasonable price, but ANY UK ad for a valuable sax. that says the sax "can be shipped" would immediately raise my suspicions. I can't imagine who would not take the time to go play test an instrument before spending multiple thousands of pounds. (The only sax I've bought unplayed was from a reputable dealer in Oregon and cost $1000 - and even that I sometimes regret - should have got a Conn instead).

I wouldn't buy ANY sax more than a couple of hundred pounds without playing it first, and particularly not if it's more than a thousand.

PaulWhite

Woodwind Wannabe
Locality
Kent
So, on Craigslist the average asking price for a Mark VI tenor is about £2000, whereas on eBay it is closer to £5000! Is one a total scam or the other a total rip off? I'm confused...

sdt99

Both. :(

If you want to spend a lot of money on a nice shiny saxophone (and why not - it's the only retail therapy that does it for me) I'd go around a few shops and try a lot (JustFlutes, Woodwind exchange, sax.co.uk).

You won't get a bargain, but neither will you be conned or end up with sax needing expensive repairs that were not obvious (or even worse wonder if there's a better playing sax out there).

Plus sax shopping is fun - much more fun than craigslist or ebay.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
You would be amazed how many Selmer saxophones are temporarily located on remote Scottish islands.

When looking for my sop I found one in the Scottish Isles, called their bluff as I had a friend flying up there on business but they stopped all comms when I said I could collect it :)

Jx

Saxlicker

Locality
Breakfast room since '06 UK
Yeah I took the time to report this.
Don't really know why I bother but there you go.
The more you watch the more you will see the same photos on different ads or in this particular case the same words but different photo's.

PaulWhite

Woodwind Wannabe
Locality
Kent
Well, your report had an effect as I just had an email from eBay saying that account had been hacked.

Moral of the story - if it looks too good to be true...

Justin Chune

Locality
The Athens of The North
If you want a Selmer, buy a Series 11. A local pro once told me that his Series 11 was just as good as his Mk V1. They are cheaper and newer as well.

Latest: Members' Recordings

Featured

Top Bottom