support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Tommy Smith

half diminished

Tommy Smith is a long time favorite of mine. A special talent he recorded his first album, Giant Strides, at the age of sixteen, signing for Blue Note at twenty-two. Tommy plays mainly tenor and some sop.

A particular fav of mine is Ally the Walligator.

If you find you like his music, check out the free sheet music.

220px-Tommysmith.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw him live last year at the London Jazz Festival with Arild Andersen and Paolo Vinnaccia - technically brilliant but just too noisy for such a small venue.

I first heard of him in 1988 when I bought his album "Step by Step", but got into Andy Sheppard moreso, and then Jan Garbarek - the rest is history!:cool:

Keep on trucking
Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Tommy Smith is a great player and I've seen him a few times live over the years.

My favourite track of his playing is the beautiful "The Peacocks" on Clark Tracey's eclectic album "Stability". Absolutely world class playing.

I also really like Tommy Smith's album "Gymnopedie" where he plays various classical and classical-influenced tunes by Satie, Bartok, Gireg, Chick Corea and two sonatas of his own. The piano playing of Murry McLachlan is great too.

Rhys

Tommy Smith is a monster player.Great idea's also and love his stuff on poem's .Beasts of Scotland is amazing.He has 1 on the beast sound's in the world for me.Seen him when he had Joe Lovano in his band so i was a very happy boy,love Lovano also.Now he's a tenor titan.