holly  All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities holly
Tutorials

tomate evantail

thehunt

When i lived in France we often ate during the summer months this simple but tasty and attractive dish. As a starter. FAN TOMATOES

Large vine tomates, 1 per person
Hard boiled eggs
Chives
Vinagrette, made with dijon mustard, salt, white pepper, red wine vinegar and vegetable oil.

Method:
decore green stem from tomate and slice off base thinly.
Place down on cut side.
Now make vertical cuts into tomato, 3-4 should do without going all the way down through tomato.
Place sliced boiled eggs ( use egg slicer for this ) into slots in tomato.
Season well with salt and pepper
coat liberably with viangrette and sprinkle chopped chives over top.
Serve on bed of crisp lettuce. ( for god's sake not COS lettuce )
Serve cold with baguette.
I know the fashion now is to use olive oil and balsamic vinegar but veg oil and red wine vinegar or even Xeres vinegar imparts a more delicate taste and allows the flavour of the tomato to come through.
Enjoy...:welldone

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
I'm trying this one ~ sounds delicious - I make something similar except instead of eggs I use avocadoes. Thanks! ;}

OP
thehunt

thehunt

Hi Lori, just be careful as advocado goes very soft if too ripe and may fall onto tomato and make it really gooey. Bit of lime or lemon juice on the flesh will stop it going brown..
I'm sure you know this. I was a chef in Paris for six years many moons ago. I will post some other recipes soon.
What is a typical dish in Vermont? Are there any? Phil

Moz

Hi Lori, just be careful as advocado goes very soft if too ripe and may fall onto tomato and make it really gooey. Bit of lime or lemon juice on the flesh will stop it going brown..
I'm sure you know this. I was a chef in Paris for six years many moons ago. I will post some other recipes soon.
What is a typical dish in Vermont? Are there any? Phil
Maple syrup probably, if my recollections from my childhood are correct regarding of a series of books called the Bobsey Twins.

Now, not only am I showing my age but more notable is the fact that I am showing that my memory is mostly intact for those long-ago times. Now, if I could only remember the wife's name, hmmm; or even my own.:confused:

Regards,

er..Thingy

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
I read the "Bobsey Twins" - :) You're right, everything is maple-y. They put it on ice cream, in their coffee, in baked beans, BBQ sauce, you name it. There is even maple cotton candy at the summer fair. I will ask my neighbor for some true Vermont style recipes - she's a native and a great cook. I'm just a transplant - so what do I know?

Thanks for the lemon juice tip - ;)

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom