All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Beginner Today I tried to play top f#...

cjR

And I thought my sax was broken, al I got was this harsh thunk sound. Of course I dont think my sax is broken but was interested to hear what I need to be doing to hit this note, is it a throat/air thing? I assume there should be no change to the embouchere. Top D and E were no problem so was a little shocked

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
The usual thing - practice.

Don't try to tongue it just slur up to it in semitones. D-E-F-F#

Keep doing that until you get it. Eventually you'll be able to tongue it too, but it may take a while.

TomMapfumo

.......oh, I always forget about that famous D - E semitone step. I still use the old fashioned D - Eb - E progression..................

TomMapfumo

What D - E semitone step????? Don't you mean E - F?
:))):))):))):))):)))

I'm off to have a bath while intelligence gradually emerges in the sax world..................;}

It would be a good idea to try a slightly newer/harder reed, as well as follow Nick's helpful advice.

Fraser Jarvis

:))):))):))):)))

I'm off to have a bath
What at 9.18 on a Friday morning???? weird!!

Back to the OP's question though, high f# has proved to be a bit of a bogey note for me to, can get all the lower ones easy enough plus most altisimo notes (still struggle with G4 though) but that high f# just wants to break down into it's fundamentals if i'm not on the case, just a case of practice, practice, practice i'm afraid.

jbtsax

Subscriber
One technique that can often be helpful is to blow the pitch of the note you are trying to play on the airstream. It is similar to a "whistle" but with just an airy sound. This accelerates the air and raises the back of the tongue which can help when playing the upper tones on the saxophone. Brass players must use this technique as the notes go higher, and it is helpful on woodwinds as well---especially the flute.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber

I'm off to have a bath while intelligence gradually emerges in the sax world..................;}

It would be a good idea to try a slightly newer/harder reed, as well as follow Nick's helpful advice.
OK, I feel suitably embarassed.

TomMapfumo

:))):))):))):)))

What at 9.18 on a Friday morning???? weird!!

Back to the OP's question though, high f# has proved to be a bit of a bogey note for me to, can get all the lower ones easy enough plus most altisimo notes (still struggle with G4 though) but that high f# just wants to break down into it's fundamentals if i'm not on the case, just a case of practice, practice, practice i'm afraid.
I bath! I also always get high F#. I'm just back from a 3.5 hour walk with my pointer, Tiersen, and am listening to Juju's new CD "In Trance." I'll be playing my Tenor Sax shortly and getting high F#'s all the time.

Kind regards from Skabertawe
Tom:thumb:

cjR

As always thanks for the tips.

Ive had a bath and am just about to practise, so should definitely hit F# - thats about the size of it right? ;)

TomMapfumo

As always thanks for the tips.

Ive had a bath and am just about to practise, so should definitely hit F# - thats about the size of it right? ;)
Perfectly correct assumption. It should be a very clean F# too........!

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom