support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

To Polish or not to Polish??

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Well guys being the owner of a silver yts 62, I am wondering on the best way to keep it looking OK. it doesn't have to be perfect as it gets played every day. Problem is it seems to be starting to tarnish ( brownstain almost like a tea stain) every time I clean this off it returns in the same place. Is this normal with a silver sax or can it be prevented:confused:. The sax is not stored in its case but on a stand. Any advice is welcome:thankyou:

Cheers

Chris

This is a bit of my tenor - to give you an idea of what I mean.
shadow-1.jpg

I hate gungy instruments. Give it a wipe with a silver cloth every so often. And wipe your paw marks off with a soft cloth every time you play it. And they tarnish more slowly if you keep them in a case or gig bag.

Some people's natural pH levels and oils in their skin are very reactive to silverplate compared to some others.

When I got my silverplated horn it was moderately tarnished (like Nick's photo above) and I spent a few hours getting it really nice and shiny with some silvercloth. Never owning a silver instrument before I imagined it would tarnish quite quickly - but it doesn't. I give it a quick wipe all over once a week with a silvercloth and then about every 3 months I spend a good couple of hours getting into the nooks and crannies.

My point is luckily for me my skin doesn't seem to react with the metal much compared to some people I know. If my skin made my horn grungey after a few days I think I'd ask myself - do I just keep it grungey all the time (except for the odd clean for maintenance's sake) or do I drive myself nuts trying to keep it shiny like new? Life's too short I think.

Do you wash your hands before playing? I do because I don't like to potentially make my keys slippery - but maybe that will help keep the blackening tarnish away for you?

Y'see the gunginess offsets the the inherent brightness of a silver plated instrument to produce a more rounded, even tone.

:)))

Each to his/her own. My sweat's also rather aggressive. And my tenor was neglected before I got it, the corrsion got through the plating and if I don't keep on top of it, black lumps of crud grow. My alto doesn't do that.

Tarnish on silverplate is caused by sulphides in the air, and generally can be cleaned off using a silver cloth like this one: http://www.justflutes.com/pages/product-detail52009.htm

if you want to try some preventative measures on the sax is clean try the anti tarnish strips - available from good jewellers and here https://www.windcraft.co.uk/image_display.html?img=accessory_pics/f-t70.jpg

also if you keep your ebonite mouthpice ( which has sulphur in it) in your case - preferably keep it in a sealable bag or in a side compartment of your case if you have one. also remove any elastic bands from inside your case

As Kev said, use a silver cloth every so often. They're not abrasive so you've nothing to fear from them. Just don't use Brasso / Silvo / Duraglit / whatever it's called unless it's on very tough-to-shift, black tarnish spots - that stuff is abrasive and should be used judiciously.

My main tenor is a silver plated '58 Mark VI that I've had since '83 - I've polished it countless times over the years with silver cloths, and there has been no wear to the plating anywhere.

Any advice for cleaning 2 years worth of gunge (played daily) of my Black Nickel Plate finish?! :confused: Looks like it could do with going in the dishwasher but I guess that wouldn't be a good idea! ;}

If you can be bothered I would think a damp cloth and a pile of cotton buds might be useful. You'll also need some thin strips of cloth for getting in those awkward places. Meths might help. It's a long job.

I use a little Pledge or spray furniture polish for laquer and also black nickel with a soft cloth (like a yellow duster): if you're worried about using it, try a small area (maybe by the thumb hook, at the back of the sax) before you attack the bell...