support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

To make a recording

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
For those who are not quite sure how to do a recording to a computer, here is one way of doing it: The saxophone way of recording to a PC

And it's just enough to get you going :)

Happy recording
Rune

Last edited by a moderator:
top tip- first thing to do is experiment by trying different distances from the mic & pointing it at different parts of the sax- you can get a huge sound variation depending on how you do this.... and remember 'recording a sax' and 'recording the sound of a sax in a room' are slightly different things...

Rune, great, thanks. Really good. I've printed it for reference.

Minor suggestion on your page - suggest you either turn the sound card ports image or swap the mic/headphones descriptions around so the mic desciption is next to the mic socket and the headphones comment next to the headphones socket.

Rune, great, thanks. Really good. I've printed it for reference.

Minor suggestion on your page - suggest you either turn the sound card ports image or swap the mic/headphones descriptions around so the mic desciption is next to the mic socket and the headphones comment next to the headphones socket.

Done :)

Ehhh.... done better...:confused:.... I think...:shocked:

Audacity can do that, no need for an extra program....

Don't want to get into an argument, but it wont with a default installation. You have to install a separate mp3 conversion module as Audacity does not have the (legal stuff) rights to supply an mp3 option. Usually not a big hassle, but on my Win7 computer it just wont work.

Ergo, an external program will do the job. Without giving you a premature death wish because of buggy programming :)

Don't want to get into an argument, but it wont with a default installation. You have to install a separate mp3 conversion module as Audacity does not have the (legal stuff) rights to supply an mp3 option. Usually not a big hassle, but on my Win7 computer it just wont work.

Ergo, an external program will do the job. Without giving you a premature death wish because of buggy programming :)
point taken- there's a codec pack on the audacity website which allows mp3 convertion (if you're lucky- works fine for me but not for Rudjarl..... go figure, as they say)

Important clarification

If you understand what Jules and I are arguing about, and would like to participate in the argument, do as Jules says. If you only vaguely understand the argument, do as I say. (You will get to where Jules is in a not to distant future :) )

Re: Important clarification

Uuupppssss... I did not mean as in a row... I should not have used the word argument. Sorry... I'm only keen on keeping this as simple as possible. Just enough to get people started.

Audacity MP3 (lame) works on all windows (XP Vista & Win7) - having the ability to import & export MP3s is essential IMHO... the Audacity website explains the procedure by far better than I can....
Thats the fellow- the lame codec (not the most confidence inspiring name!) or is it the (gold) lamE codec- a far more cam pdownload!

Thought I’d give this a go and record myself. It worked amazingly well and was very easy to use.

Being a learner I wanted to see how I sounded, playing alone and with backing track.

To play with backing track, I discovered importing backing track first then pressing record, played the backing track and recorded my playing on a second channel. By playing around with volumes I could equalize backing track and my recording or mute backing track to hear just my playing.

I was using the Jazz Method CD, where rhythm section is on left channel and saxophone on right. Again using volumes I could compare my sound and my timing to Saxophone on album.

Being a learner this was great and I found problems I hadn’t picked up before.

Thanks for pointing out this software.

thanks for this :thumb: could you recommend a .wav to .mp3 converter software? (I don't really know what to look for!)

Personally, I use Switch file converter, easy to use with good results.
You can get it here and look for the free version http://www.nch.com.au/software/index.html

There is some other quite useful software on there too such as wavepad and mixpad.

One extra tip regarding this set-up: on the first recording I made I was peeved when I played back I seemed to "come in" too late wrt the backing track, and I couldn't seem to get rid of that. I put it down to my general incompetence.

I tried another recording again today and discovered that the audacity/backing track/recording setup I had, had generated a small delay in the recorded track vs the backing, around 0.05 seconds, not much but very definitely audible. Using audacity's "time-shift" feature, I gently brought the sax track forward, in line with the pulse of the backing. A huge improvement.

Back
Top Bottom