• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
sax.co.uk

Other to buy or not to buy.....

The Blaw

My friend is offering to sell me her Bauhaus Walstein alto. Neither of us knows anything about them (she had it as a gift) It is silver and gold if that helps work out what model it is. Does anyone know anything about them, in particular what it might be worth. (Ballpark) I want to establish a fair price for both of us obviously. It seems in good condition and is definitely playable. I'm not looking for anything amazing, I'm just a beginner looking for a reasonable horn and I'm scared of buying blind on eBay.

PaulWhite

Woodwind Wannabe
Subscriber
I don't know anything about them but it may help if you could find a serial number on it - the magic of Google will then help you identify the model and you might then find a market value.

The Blaw

Thank you all for the links. I had seen them but didn't know if M2 series was the only thing it could be. The new price would be beyond my budget and I don't know how old it is or if it needs a service etc. Do any if you know how new price compares with second/third hand prices? Is there some rule of thumb? From what you say it looks as if I should try to buy it so price is the only issue.

nigeld

festina andante
Subscriber
The saxophone should have a model name on it - worth checking that it is an M2 series before you pay.
Or you could post a photo.

Stephen Howard

Pricing is always tricky - a lot depends on how old the horn is, but the smart buyer is more interested in how much (or little) use it's had. A hardly-used horn that's ten years old will be a better bet than a two year old horn that's been used almost daily.

The horn is around £1600 new. The moment you walk out the shop it's worth 10% less. After a year or so you can knock another 10% off it, maybe 15-20% if it's a bit grubby. After a couple of years the price becomes more dependent on the condition of the horn.
Let's say it's 5 years old, in tidy condition with not much use. I'd say it would be worth around the £1000-£1200 mark...but someone might be happy with £800-900.
That's a very general guide (I don't really doing buying and selling) but hopefully it givs you a rough idea.

If the horn is more than two years old and has never had a service, it'll could probably do with one. Might not need much (or indeed any) work - but it's worth budgeting around £60 for a service. Add 10% for every year of age thereafter and you shouldn't go far wrong.

jonf

I do loads of buying and selling, and generally I'd apply the following rule of thumb for pricing a used sax:

Top end sax in mint condition - 2/3 of the new price
Good sax, in very good condition - 1/2 new price
Anything else - 1/3 of new price downwards.

Some saxes buck the trend if the demand is strong - Yamaha 275 and 280 series are always in demand, for example, and classics are a law unto themselves. I'd say for something like a BW in good nick about half the new retail price would be right for a private sale. In a shop, with overheads and the added protection you get you'd have to pay more. Any sax bought privately should have at least a light service factored in.