Tutorials

Time of the Season - Sax Cover

Jmoen3

My wonderful wife suggested this song for me to play, like she did with Mungo Jerry's 'In the Summertime'. I gotta say, she has a great ear for picking out tunes that could sound good on sax! Thanks to her for the suggestion and I hope you all enjoy!

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
You play the head well, and the production with the other horns present when there's harmony is a nice touch. I'd like to challenge you to see if you can sing your improvisation note for note. What I hear is a combination of playing chord tones and finger memory exercises that don't always fit within the chord structure. You're playing, but saying nothing in your improvisation. I know this is harsh criticism, but at some point you need to start a new path that will lead you to better playing. The path you're on is a dead end.

Here's a quote (not from me) that's relevant: "The amateur tries to make everything sound complicated, the pro makes everything sound easy". Think about this as it's profound. Build you playing on a foundation of what you can hear in your head. If all you're playing is a bunch of riffs, arpeggios and finger exercises, the end result is a player who has noting to say and nobody wants to hear.

You can ignore all this, but think for a moment, Am I just trying make you feel badly or possibly help you towards a path that will make you a better player? The advice is free and I've got nothing to gain from it.

The track is a good choice by the way, and if you think about the words this can give you some clues for your improvisation. Tell us the story and give us the feeling of that story...that's what music is about.

Jmoen3

Thank you! I agree, and my instructor is definitely on the same page. We are working to develop my ability to get there. I'm still building my ability to actively play what I can sing, even on simple things. Building that connection between my hands and my ears has been slow going!

However, here, my solo was mostly intended to replicate the fast organ solo from the original and some guitar solos I had heard over this. I strayed a good deal from the original, but I wasn't trying to hard. In fact, I don't even know the chord changes I was playing over, just that it was in the key of concert Em. So, I just had some fun with it and enjoyed myself :D

Top Bottom