All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Thumb hook screw needed - where can spares be sourced in the UK?

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
I often play without the thumb rest as I find it more comfortable. I was going to put it back on the soprano but can only find the actual thumb rest and not the thing that it fixes with. Please can any one tell me what it's technical name is and where I might buy a replacement. The sop is a Yani SC992. I can find lots on ebay but don't want to order something that won't fit or is rubbish. Thaks in advance. Picture of thumb rest attached
IMG_2207.jpeg

Last edited:

Targa

Among the pigeons
Café Supporter
Locality
KIC 8462852
Send an email to the Yani customer relations saying how pleased you are with the product but rather disappointed that the screw apparently fell out and can't be found and please can you have a replacement and they might send you one free.

• Thanks
Reactions: Sue

Sue

Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
Thanks Targa - I didn't think to contact Yani direct - brain has turned to cotton wool! I will email them although I don't mind paying. I know it's in the house somewhere 'safe' :)

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
And when it comes...tape it to the thumb rest when not in use and put it somewhere safe, but not so safe that you can't find it. ;)

Sue

Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
And when it comes...tape it to the thumb rest when not in use and put it somewhere safe, but not so safe that you can't find it. ;)
Lol, I will! It’s odd because with the other saxes I’ve got the screw fixed on where the thumb hook would be on the sax. I can only think it’s worked its way off and i haven’t noticed until now. I am bad at putting things somewhere safe though and never finding them until I don’t need them

Vetinari

Café Supporter
Locality
East Manchester
Has it slipped under the lining of your sax case?. It's amazing what I find when I have a clean out.

Sue

Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
@Vetinari sadly no, it’ll be hidden in plain sight

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
@Vetinari sadly no, it’ll be hidden in plain sight

Is it over there on the bookshelves ?

That's where my little saxophone stuff always hides - usually on the shelf above or below where it should be.

Rhys

turf3

Locality
Earth
I'd rethink screwing the screw into the hole on the sax without the thumb hook in place. Those holes are really shallow and you'd likely put a dimple in the bore if you screw the screw down hard enough to keep it in place. As someone else noted, just tape it to the hook.

• Thanks

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I have a chest of drawers filled with ice cream and margerine tubs containing similar items.
I found one in the fridge the other day. The marg was melting in the drawers. Doh!

• Funny

Sue

Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
The lovely people at Dawkes have ordered one for me from their supplier and my tech has offered to make me a spare for when I lose that one ;).

Sue

Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
And the tape? Have you ordered the tape? ;)
Apparently John has lots of things like tape and screwdrivers and stuff I don't know what to do with in his shed. I'm not allowed in there in case I tidy it up. I can't imagine why he'd think I'd tidy a shed when I only tidy the house under protest!

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
This time it's not a screw but the actual thumb rest that needs replacing:

IMG_20210628_194035624.jpg

I picked up my YTS-62 earlier today and felt the thumb rest was not exactly right... Indeed, it was broken! How, since when? I have no clue.

Well, I know my youngest kid came into my studio while I was away, but I doubt he damaged it. If he dropped it, other things would be off. I didn't notice anything, yet! So he is on probation ...

Now, the thing is, how do I replace it?

I have the exact same on my alto. Another 62. But I'd rather find a decent replacement for it. I found out that Thomann offers a product that looks the part but at 79€, I find it a bit expensive. At that price, I can probably make a few and feel proud I did.

Any suggestions for a decent replacement that will not cost an arm and a leg?

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom