All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Through the looking glass.

navarro

As previously threaded I attended my first Workshop/seminar to do with the art of free improvisation.

Being a sceptic by nature and not educated at all in the genre, I determined to take as much as I could from this meet at an academic level and not in any way dream of using it in any practical sense, partially due to me being a sax newbie and engrossed in the disciplines of true improvisation as I understand it.

The seminar was conducted by a very knowledgeable young lady who practiced and taught both methods.

Her method was very few words but a profusion of playing within the range of freeness as we interpreted it.

The improvisation was brought about by a series of images and prompts exercised by the tutor. These ranged from word imagery to abstract paintings and original scores.

At first this came to the ear like a cacophony of sound without rhythm or reason, however within the turmoil something emerged. It could not be likened to a tune or a chord progression but had a quality at this stage which denied definition.

The Lady leader then introduced us to a series of recordings made by professionals in this art, the names I did not take in or for that matter the titles. It was at this point I started, to enjoy the art form, I have called it this because it could not be classed as music in the true generic sense as the artists used not only conventional instruments but parts of the instruments. One example being a tenor saxophone blown with a trumpet mouthpiece fitted. I then retracted my original musings about music being a generic attribute and excluding free improvisation form within this attribution because foolishly I had forgotten that the word music is man made and in reality every sound is embraced by this generalisation Best illustrated by the phrase `His/Her words were like music to the ear.`

Question time arrived and I had prepared a series of questions which I hoped would dispel any of my grey areas.

If free improvisation is prompted by imagery, suggestion or any kind of signal. can it truly be described as free, as the improvisation is constrained by what the image etc. suggests.?

At what point does F.I . crossover into structured musiic as many of the practitioners of same introduce recognisable melodic phrases? ( The late great Derek Bailey guitarist was a practitioner of the art.) although in my ignorance of F.I. at the time of listening to Mr Baileys recordings, just thought it a peculiar turn of phrasing.}

Our tutor answered the questions with a degree of free improvisating wordology but nevertheless acquitted herself admirably.

To summarize I found the workshop educational, exhilarating and fun and I am determined to explore this field further. Best wishes to the lecturer should she be a forum member, Regds from a freely improvised spiritually awakened N.

Last edited by a moderator:

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Free improvisation can be a little repetitive, don't you think?

navarro

How much is this free stuff?
Hi Bear, To gain knowledge requires a price to be paid, not necessarily in gold or silver nor in animals of the field because knowledge does not have a price laid upon it.. (Confucius.2nd Century BCE) In my case £18.00 with the ancients concessions laid upon me.:) Regds. My quest for freebies often results in payment of kind. (Navarro. 21st century AD)

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Hi Targa the thought had crossed my mind but I think that I will have to explore the genre a little further before commenting Regds. N.
My original post is meaningless after the duplicate of your first was removed (or did I imagine it?)

navarro

My original post is meaningless after the duplicate of your first was removed (or did I imagine it?)
Hi Targa strange things are happening don`t ask me what it seems double post appears and people put a thank you on then it disappears . You are not imagining anything things started to go wrong after I tried to edit the original, up came the duplicate. Regds. N. PS I have backtracked and I may have unwittingly created the chaos because I edited the duplicate by cutting it`s content and apologising for the double thread. but the edited duplicate thread containing the apology has not shown up on the forum. N

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Yes I deleted the dupe, cos N said it was a dupe and deleted it himself. So all that was left was a shell.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom