Tutorials

Three very difference sax approaches

randulo

Playing saxophone 20 months - 2.3% of my life
Subscriber
Softly as in a Morning Sunrise - a pretty decent live recording with more than decent players
Chad Lefkowitz Brown - Tenor Sax
Ryan Devlin - Tenor Sax
Justin Mendez - Alto Sax
Thomas Milovac - Bass Chris Rottmeyer - Piano
Santanio Jackson - Drums

Fascinating to check out these varied visions of the popular jazz standard. Each one has some very personal extensions of what went before (Bird, Trane, etc). Some of the YouTube comments point to quotes and other interesting moments.

Life is short. Then you die
If you don't like this, please move on. I do not see the point of enumerating what you don't care for. Everyone has an opinion (you know the saying). There's no point in arguing about them.
It's better that you find something that you do like and share a new post to say why you like it.
That is the advice I was given on this very forum last year, and I think it's one of the most valuable lessons I've had here.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9qap1qb_rQ

Pete Effamy

Whether what these guys are doing floats your boat or not, they are part of a massively technical young breed who seem large in number. Not just a few per generation, there seem to be loads this generation. I've known about Chad LB for a few years, but not heard of the other two. A bit 'straight' for me, but the ability and harmonic language is incredible.
Here's another guy to add - Tucker Antell. Heard of him? He's sort of retro but with a really modern slant. Fantastic articulation. Goes in a lot of directions.
Danny Janklow is another young player, with more than a bit of Bebop going on.
Finally, Eric Alexander. Much more a nod to the past here, you'd think it was an old 60's recording. Lovely playing though.

View: https://youtu.be/w3R9gmZ5BHY

View: https://youtu.be/cH74bHZD36Y

View: https://youtu.be/uIRb-j2bHQ0

View: https://youtu.be/6dIKITfN_VI

OP
randulo

randulo

Subscriber
FWIW, the really new players are on -- wait for it -- Instagram! I've seen a few who post short warm-up or gig videos.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
The only one I'd like to hear more from was Tucker Antell. Not as locked into the antiquated "language" and looking forward. Excellent tone, technique and seems to wish to do something other than show off his chops. When the music comes before the ego I sit up and listen.

OP
randulo

randulo

Subscriber
On the three that I initially posted, it's obvious that in a jam session with three dudes on the same tune, there's gonna be a contest. I wonder what would happen in in that situation, someone played the simplest, but most nuanced solo? We may never know :)

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
This is my kind of jazz. I could spend my whole life (what's left of it) learning from just this one video. And not get anywhere close.

Mike

Softly as in a Morning Sunrise - a pretty decent live recording with more than decent players
Ryan Devlin - Tenor Sax
Justin Mendez - Alto Sax
Santanio Jackson - Drums

Fascinating to check out these varied visions of the popular jazz standard. Each one has some very personal extensions of what went before (Bird, Trane, etc). Some of the YouTube comments point to quotes and other interesting moments.

If you don't like this, please move on. I do not see the point of enumerating what you don't care for. Everyone has an opinion (you know the saying). There's no point in arguing about them.
It's better that you find something that you do like and share a new post to say why you like it.
That is the advice I was given on this very forum last year, and I think it's one of the most valuable lessons I've had here.

Ryan Devlin - Tenor Sax
Justin Mendez - Alto Sax
Santanio Jackson - Drums

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
These are all wonderful sax players - far away from any level I could ever hope to emulate. The Tucker Antell unaccompanied solo did remind me of Michael Brecker's solo tour. To me, he sounds just as component.

roi rQUOTE="Pete Effamy, post: 404583, member: 7201"]
Whether what these guys are doing floats your boat or not, they are part of a massively technical young breed who seem large in number. Not just a few per generation, there seem to be loads this generation. I've known about Chad LB for a few years, but not heard of the other two. A bit 'straight' for me, but the ability and harmonic language is incredible.
Here's another guy to add - Tucker Antell. Heard of him? He's sort of retro but with a really modern slant. Fantastic articulation. Goes in a lot of directions.
Finally, Eric Alexander. Much more a nod to the past here, you'd think it was an old 60's recording. Lovely playing though.

Pete Effamy

These are all wonderful sax players - far away from any level I could ever hope to emulate. The Tucker Antell unaccompanied solo did remind me of Michael Brecker's solo tour. To me, he sounds just as component.

roi rQUOTE="Pete Effamy, post: 404583, member: 7201"]
I’ll always think that Brecker had that tiny bit more. A wonderful sound and lots of soul.

OP
randulo

randulo

Subscriber
Brecker, like a few before him, was beyond the virtuosity he obviously possessed, he played with soul and taste that is too rare. One of my favorite moments in music us a live performance of The Cost of Living on his electric instrument. I have a live concert in Paris recorded off the mixing board, I think. It is so beautiful, words can't express it. It's... music.

Pete Effamy

Cost of Living starts at about the 45 minute mark. Beautiful composition and playing. Note in passing, rubato is used as part of the dynamics.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25FRgETCVQ
Incredible playing. You think of Brecker as a hard-blowing, hard-sound player, but the sub-tone on Cost Of Living is fabulous. He always surprised though - he plays Soprano on the second Return Of The Brecker Bros album. An amazing sound. I guess you know the Claus Ogerman album written for Brecker - Cityscape? One of my all-time favourite albums. Never heard him play alto, that would be interesting.

Top Bottom