supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

This year we are growing

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
Asparagus!

We started a new bed when we moved in a couple of years ago but you must leave the plants the first two years. So this is our first year of Asparagus and it's working very well.

We did try okra in the greenhouse last year but not too successful. We had some "ladies fingers", but with just a small plant we got maybe one a day so by the time there were enough to cook with, the first ones had gone by.

Beans, beetroot and sweetcorn do very well down here in sunny Southampton

jonf

Bloody hell, sparrowgrass! Beats me.

We're growing potatoes, carrots, rasishes, cougettes, rocket, chinese leaf and beans. All easy stuff I can get the kids involved with. Spuds are doing very well here in Surrey. Looking forward to eating them all.

Jon

ch'boogie

I am growing cucmbers which the slugs seem quite partial too. Also tomatoes and lettuces, which I am hoping our chickens won't get!!! so far so good as they supposedly aren't allowed into the lower part of our garden although there's always one that hops over the fence to check out what they are missing out on:eek:

jonf

I am growing cucmbers which the slugs seem quite partial too. :
Try nematodes if your veg are being munched by slugs. I had real problems with the slimy critters, but if you use nematodes and follow the instructions to the letter, hey presto, no slugs. It's been 100% effective.

Have sttarted to eat the fruit and veg now. Fantastic - the taste of a strawberry eaten seconds after picking cannot be beaten.

ch'boogie

Thanks JonF ,

I will try nematodes. Have also tried strawberries just after picking from the garden, I don't think you can beat them!!! although raspberries are pretty good!

ProfJames

Elementary member
I once left a grow bag in the boot of my car for three months............it must have been a bad one as nothing grew out of it............

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Asparagus!

We started a new bed when we moved in a couple of years ago but you must leave the plants the first two years. So this is our first year of Asparagus and it's working very well.

We did try okra in the greenhouse last year but not too successful. We had some "ladies fingers", but with just a small plant we got maybe one a day so by the time there were enough to cook with, the first ones had gone by.

Beans, beetroot and sweetcorn do very well down here in sunny Southampton
So are we! :)
we bought a couple of sad looking plants 2 or 3 years ago from Wilko (!) :eek: and stuck them in a bag - one of those nylon canvas potato bags, not a plastic grow bag. Then we ignored them. And this year we have had a few tasty stems.

When I was a child, my parents moved to a house with an enormous, well-established asparagus heap (about 5 metres long). I had never appreciated, therefore, that asparagus is a delicacy - we used to just pop down the garden after school and cut a handful for dinner. :clapping:

Now I live in the county that grows it for most of the country

Alc.

Strawberries fresh from the vine have a unique flavor, unlike store-bought; likewise a fresh tomato. This year I ordered six different varieties of tomato seeds, plus new variety of watermelon. I do container-gardening with drip-irrigation. Plants are a little smaller, but weeds are less and are easily pulled. But since we are still having occasional snow flurries I am waiting........

ProfJames

Elementary member
Strawberries fresh from the vine have a unique flavor, unlike store-bought; likewise a fresh tomato. This year I ordered six different varieties of tomato seeds, plus new variety of watermelon. I do container-gardening with drip-irrigation. Plants are a little smaller, but weeds are less and are easily pulled. But since we are still having occasional snow flurries I am waiting........
Does a grow bag survive in a UFO?>:)

Ivan

Undecided
Purple sprouting broccoli... leaves are a tasty green over winter and the sprouts appear in spring

That's if the rabbits don't get it first

Top Bottom