All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

This should help

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
So I've read the page you link to.....but having been ignorant up to this point about the proposed changes, could someone please point me to more info, or just explain what the proposed changes will mean when / if they go through?

This is relevant to our band, I suspect, so info will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
In a nutshell, you can now go play a small gig with out the need for the owner to have a license for live music..If I understand it right..

Young Col

That's pretty well right, except that it hasn't taken effect yet. There's still some to-ing and fro-ing between Commons and Lords; it then needs Royal Assent and finally it has to be put into effect by Statutory Instrument, so it could be a few months off yet. Very welcome for all that.

In a bit more detail, the Act will do four main things :
- *removes the licensing requirement for unamplified music between 8am -11pm in all venues

- * removes the licensing requirement for amplified music between 8am -11pm for audiences of not more than 200 in premises licensed for alcohol consumption
* both subject to licensing authority review of premises

- removes the provision of licensing for entertainment facilities (I'm not familiar enough with the current provision to know what that covers)

- widens the licensing exemption for music integral to morris dancing and similar so that the exemption applies to recorded music instead of only unamplified or live music (OG will be happy - just take your i-podthing along instead of lugging the melodian).

YC

old git

Tremendous Bore
Is the "Statutory Instrument" to which you refer, a saxophone or a guitar, please?

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
does "venues" include outside, or is it inside only?
e.g most of our sax band gigs are in the open air - village fetes, old people's homes, school fetes etc.
And does "amplified" refer to the whole band...e.g we have an electric bass guitar with amp, and a keyboard with amp, but the saxes, clarinets, horns are all "au naturel"

I guess I should attempt to find a useful web-page or two?!?!

Young Col

Mandy, it looks from the original 2003 Licensing Act that garden fetes were always exempt, providing they were not held for "private gain". I had the same thought about what is "amplified music" but although that appears in the Act it isn't defined.

I have found that "entertainment facilities" is defined as anywhere that facilities are provided for people to participate in music, dancing and similar.

The Act is in full on the www.legislation.gov.uk site but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know your way round Acts of Parliament: I do, but I found this one quite tough! There must be lay people's guides on the web. Sorry, that doesn't help much!

OG - doesn't matter what the instruments are, it means they will be set in stone.
YC

Young Col

Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. What a band! Used to play the Camelot club, pre-the Licensing Act. Had instrument stands made out of rock.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom