All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

This problem I have with my brand new TJ

navarro

I have already posted on a problem getting the low notes on said alto. Took it to a top man on repairs who is a friend and did not charge. Cleared it with TJ supplier to make sure I was not in breach of guarantee and got an okay.

The tech found that the G key was slightly bent and duly repaired it. I have never dropped this instrument and handle it by the horn on all occasions. I really look after my instrument being a newbie and the horn only a month old.

Has anyone had problems of a similar nature with the Trevor James custom raw alto because quite frankly I do not feel comfortable with this instrument now, and still the lower registers seem to be a little dicey.

This of course could be purely psychological but we shall see. If it comes to a crunch it will be going back but I am trying to avoid this. Regds N

jazzdoh

I think you should let your teacher play the sax now that its been repaired and see if he/she has the same feel about the lower register.
If there is still a problem have it sent back to TJ for a setup,its fortunate that they are in this country so its not too much trouble to have it sent back.

I have not had the problems you have had with my RAW.

Brian

TomMapfumo

Agree about getting your teacher to have a blow.

Alternatively/in addition place a plastic mouthpiece cap in the bell of the instrument and see whether that improves the sound of the lower notes. I would say that lower notes are always harder to play and require a solid, open & sustained breath. It may also depend on how hard the reeds are that you use, and whether or not they are soaked before playing. Try all of these things and if there is NOT an improvement you may need to contact TJ.

navarro

Thanks Tom and jazzdoh will do as suggested. Im using a rico 2.5 but can blow comfortably with a 3.

I never had this problem with my Artemis I hit the highs and lows with ease.

It is when I move quickly from say mid C to lower D that it goes.

If I run a chromatic from low D to mid D it is on the return that it just goes. Regds N

md90065

Hi navarro i agree with the others to have someone blow the horn i know that on the older horns which i like playing i have to watch and adjust that g key becaucse it controls i think 3 other keys or pads when pressed and they all have to be adjusted with that g..key and one of the sypmtoms of it being off is the d thru i guess being weak or sometimes effecting the octave playing a octave higher then it should well on the old kings that is my issue the martins i like.. also..committee 1.2.and 3

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Some great advice above. Couple of questions.

Is it consistent - does it always do this? Or intermittently? Which mouthpiece are you using? Is it a specific note, or more than one? Does pressing harder on the keys help?

navarro

Hi kev, Yes it is consistent. MPC Meyer 6 with a 2.5 or 3 reed. Pressing harder on keys helps to a degree. The notes in question seem to be transition from anything above and including G all octaves to F,D,C, E flat. Regds N.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Sounds like there's still something not quite right on the sax. Get your teacher to confirm and either have another nice friendly chat with your mate, or send it back.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom