support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones This has to be a knock off right?

What

Locality
Pittsburgh P.A.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Gold-...607&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&sd=121020904997&

This has to be a knock off at 400 bucks. The neck does not have a selmer logo, there is no bell engraving, and the seller never qualifies it as a selmer so if it is he is in the clear.
If I would buy it I would be stretched to the limit. But on the off chance it might be real, I am willing to stretch for a month or so. I am asking here since you all know saxes better then I do. Any chance that this might be luck and not fraud? There is just something that feels off about it. Like I will be kicking myself in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be incredibly surprised if it was a real Selmer Paris. It doesn't quite look like one and it's too cheap. My suggestion would be to steer clear of it and not think about it again. It would be nice, though, wouldn't it...? :)

Selmer have never manufactured a black reference horn..... hm....

Thanks. It just felt off, but I figured it was worth asking, just on the one in a million chance that it was some run that was meant to be for students and lacked that physical style the one I have seen have. Thanks again for confirming my suspicions on this one. I will not be kicking myself, woodwind brasswind has a sale on mouthpieces. I might use this chance to explore metal Otto link.

That's pretty conclusive then...!

Aye. If its too good to be true, it probably isn't. I will just have to keep hunting. I will either find something just right that's a great deal, or I will save up enough for a trip to the shop. The hunt goes on.

Am I missing something here? Is there any mention within the title or description that it is anything other than an un-named sax?

Maybe my eyesight is worse than I thought!

Am I missing something here? Is there any mention within the title or description that it is anything other than an un-named sax?

Maybe my eyesight is worse than I thought!
Selmer logo in one of the photos

Counterfeited Selmers have been appearing rather often lately. They are generally offered from China. This one was sold by a US located vendor.

It is a Federal Offence in the US to sell a counterfeit and it is in most countries. It is a scandal that ebay is a party to what amount to a crime.

The offence carries a 10 years (20 if a repeat offender) imprisonment and heavy fines.

http://www.naw.org/govrelations/advisory.php?articleid=563

So when you see one on e bay they need to be told. Report it. Otherwise how would ebay know it was a fake ?

I've seen chinese websites offering all kinds of instruments at tempting prices, all of them fake. Common fakes on ebay are Buffet Clarinets and Besson curved soprano saxes. One of the guitar magazines did a piece on fake chinese Gibson and Fender guitars, which are usually just the nornal cheap copies with a Gibson or Fender logo on them, but copying a Selmer sax is a bit more difficult - all the chinese saxes I've ever seen are copies of Yanagisawa or Yamaha designs, but if there's enough money to be made, someone will do it - welcome to the free market..
Ebay don't seem to be that bothered about fake stuff on their website, I've seen all kinds of dodgy goods, from bootleg cd's to designer label clothes. Some crooks don't even have anything to sell, they just put up ads for high value goods using photos taken from elsewhere, take the payment and disappear.
You can usually tell by looking at the listing if it's genuine or not, if they give you lots of info and have lots of pictures it's generally a good sign, if it's all copied and pasted from the manufacturers website, be cautious. Some businesses do the copy and paste thing because they've a lot of stock and haven't got the time to take photos and write their own description, but if it's a private seller they're either being lazy or dishonest..
100% positive feedback can be faked, I don't know how, but I'm told by a guy who's a regular on ebay that it's been done and he's been conned a few times.
Most ebay sellers are genuine, but I never spend more than I can afford to lose - ie not very much..

I'd advise people to exercise caution if you're thinking of buying USB memory sticks or similar products on ebay, there was a spate of dodgy ones around a while ago - they seem genuine and pass most of the tests, but when you come to retrieve your data there's nothing there. If you're buying computer parts, better to go to a reputable supplier.

So when you see one on e bay they need to be told. Report it. Otherwise how would ebay know it was a fake ?

I have, and have reported such incidents to Selmer too, at least to their importer in the Netherlands

I informed the seller first. They might not know its a fake after all. I did also inform eBay with the wording that "the seller never claims that it is a Selmer, only says that it is a Tenor Sax. So they may not be aware that they are selling a knockoff of a brand name."

Sadly it looks like it may have sold, lets hope it's at least a good enough sax to be worth the price, or that the seller made sure the buyer knew that they were not getting a real Selmer.

if someone sells any Selmer at few hundred dollars they know it is a fake.

I have seen semi destroyed saxophones go for more than that..........

Back
Top Bottom