All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Saxophones This hand-made saxophone Berthold Messing

Wint

This saxophone Berthold Messing?

Hello! Owns somebody information about this tool.
This tenor Berthold Messing. Its age is somewhere in 73 years. This is probably a copy of the Conn 10M - Rolled Tone-Holes. This hand-made saxophone. I think Berthold Messing is an Austrian Master. That's all I know.

BM_1.jpg BM_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Wurzen is in Germany, not Austria, not far from Dresden and the i/S at the end of the inscription probably means 'in Saxony', the state in which both Dresden and Wurzen fall.

The inscription translates to 'Musical Instrument Construction and Delivery' - i.e. that the instruments were available through postal delivery. The name implies that they're more of a dealer/repairer than maker. My guess is that the instrument came from the Markneukirchen/Graslitz area, but wasn't made by the people who inscribed it. Many of the sax makers in this area made saxes for others to put their names on, and many saaxes were made from parts sourced from common suppliers, so identifying the maker may be difficult. However without more detailed photos, serial number, other inscriptions and an expert on old saxes from this area, it's difficult to tell. From what you've provided so far, it doesn't look to be anything special, sorry.

I see that you've offered the horn for sale on SOTW. It's a little unfair asking for information here, while offering it for sale somewhere else. Describing it as hand made is going a little overboard, this looks like a standard factory item, possibly pre WWII, possibly soon after.

Wint

OK! Thank you! You're right, made in Germany. I'm sorry, I had to go to an elementary search.
I typed in the search: Berthold Messing, returned no results.
IInformation about this horn gave me an acquaintance musician. And I have not verified it. He asked me to sell it.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
OK! Thank you! You're right, made in Germany. I'm sorry, I had to go to an elementary search.
I typed in the search: Berthold Messing, returned no results.
This horn of my friend asked to put on sale.
Some excellent, collectable saxes from this area have failed to sell recently at less than half the price you're asking...

Wint

Some excellent, collectable saxes from this area have failed to sell recently at less than half the price you're asking...
The price was dictated by the owner of the horn. Your information noted. Price reduced twice. I think this is enough.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom