support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Think my sax teacher has abbandoned me after just 1 lesson :(

flukeyluke

So i had one lesson so far which was last wednesday and i loved it,was supposed to have one this wednesday but had to prospone it as we have the council coming out to fit new windows that day and i didnt want to have my lesson with strange men poking there heads through the window lol

My teacher then said the only other morning she has this week is today which i had to say no to as i have to go out and wont be back untill lunch time,i did say anytime after 12oclock would be ok though,anyhow now she is just ignoring my messages :( i sent her a txt(as she rarely answers her phone) basicaly pleading for a lesson this week and if she couldnt fit me in this week could she fit me in next week as i really want to continue my lessons....she hasnt responded :(

Looks like im on the long journey of teaching myself now as she is the only local sax teacher in my area,i have learnt myself the pentotonic scale though and my c major scale in 2 octives plus i know my perfect 5th :) (and know a GREAT secrete for remembering it ;) ) and ive only had 9hrs playing time on a sax in my LIFE lol

Luke

oh soz for spelling,i never really did any good at school,was a bit of a jack the lad back when i was young lol

Well done for teaching yourself your not alone, many a great sax player was see taught!
As for your spilling, again your not aloon my spolling is nit goad eiver

Sorry to hear of your dilemma,it may not be as bad as you think she may just have been very busy and unable to reply with anything definate.If I were you I would send a long apologetic text saying how awful you feel to have had to cancel at short notice and then not be able to rearrange to suit her due to unusual reasons beyond your control,tell her how much you enjoyed your lesson with her and how much playing the sax means to you,and that you are sure the coast is now clear to have lessons on a regular basis at a pre arranged time to suit both parties......best of luck....John

Hey Luke, are you sure there is only one teacher in your area? I thought there was only one or two in Cardiff until I searched the web and found out there's 20 odd. I was being hounded (via email) by a couple of them asking me to start taking lessons. Q

I agree, it's worth apologising and trying to arrange something regular.

You will have to accept that any very short notice cancellations should be paid for. After all, it's money she will be relying on for income, and if you cancel she may be able to find someone else, but that would mean her ringing around to see if other students can swap times with you.

Although I was self taught for two years, I strongly recommend to others to get a teacher.

Best of luck.

If things do not workout with this teacher(and I hope that they do) Pete Thomas and this site has some excellent learning material, technique advice, and just loads of great info and a very nice beginners DVD set for alto, but works the same for all saxes. Also, depending on what type of sound you are going for there are a lot of good books out there. Even if you end up having to self teach for a while you won't be alone, just ask.

Thanks for the replies guys,panic over,she contacted me an hour ago and was very polite and sorry she didnt reply sooner,im starting my lessons again next week :) i cant wait as shes a very good teacher and we seemed to get along well,she was also happy i told her my secrete to always knowing your perfect 5th ;) which is very simple but not many people know it.

Its early doors for panicking that she's abandoned you. It sounds rather more like its busy-ness. I've been self employed for years enough to appreciate how much panic can go through people if they don't hear back from me quickly, and sometime, I've simply been so heavily booked that they have to appreciate that working from home doesn't mean I can take a call 24/7. Often I've had to point out that I wouldn't interrupt 'their' session for a call, so why should I do it to someone else.

A little patience on your part will be appreciated by your teacher. And yes, apologies are always appreciated, whether they are necessary or not.

Take a few deep breaths. Have a cuppa, and then get back to your scales or treat yourself to a full tune. Give her time to get back to you. If you haven't heard anything by the end of the week, then it would be appropriate to gently nudge her for a response.

Mel

I agree, it's worth apologising and trying to arrange something regular.

You will have to accept that any very short notice cancellations should be paid for. After all, it's money she will be relying on for income

Agree with the 1st part, definetly apologise

2nd part i'm on the fence with this, i recentley (3 weeks ago) had to cancel a lesson with my teacher at very short notice (under an hour) reason being my head gasket blew on the cab while working. I had to wait for the AA to take me to the garage, so you can see it was out of my control.
I txtd my teacher ( i don't phone incase she's in a lesson) but she couldn't fit me in for the remainder of that day, i haven't had a lesson since, due to me working and other family events.
I will have to pay for my missed lesson, i can understand about she could have filled the slot if notified earlier but sometimes circumstances don't allow you to notify earlier. My teacher has a 24hr cancellation policy if you miss your lesson you have to pay, so at my next lesson (Friday) it will cost me £50 :shocked:, i will have to try to sort a solution that works best for both of us.
I'm self employed as is my teacher so can understand the difficulties it can bring, but i think there should be some leeway (there maybe i won't know until friday).
If not, i maybe on the search for a new teacher (hopefully not, as she's good) but i feel paying for a missed lesson out of your control will be hard (at least on my wallet).

Agree with the 1st part, definetly apologise

2nd part i'm on the fence with this, i recentley (3 weeks ago) had to cancel a lesson with my teacher at very short notice (under an hour) reason being my head gasket blew on the cab while working. I had to wait for the AA to take me to the garage, so you can see it was out of my control.
I txtd my teacher ( i don't phone incase she's in a lesson) but she couldn't fit me in for the remainder of that day, i haven't had a lesson since, due to me working and other family events.
I will have to pay for my missed lesson, i can understand about she could have filled the slot if notified earlier but sometimes circumstances don't allow you to notify earlier. My teacher has a 24hr cancellation policy if you miss your lesson you have to pay, so at my next lesson (Friday) it will cost me £50 :shocked:, i will have to try to sort a solution that works best for both of us.
I'm self employed as is my teacher so can understand the difficulties it can bring, but i think there should be some leeway (there maybe i won't know until friday).
If not, i maybe on the search for a new teacher (hopefully not, as she's good) but i feel paying for a missed lesson out of your control will be hard (at least on my wallet).

£25 a lesson sounds high to me but as I've never had any maybe not.
When I was in Curly's first thinking about a sax I asked them how much lessons would be and there was another person in there and they said he was a teacher and charged £13.
So it might be worth asking them if you think of changing.

Thanks for the replies guys,panic over,she contacted me an hour ago and was very polite and sorry she didnt reply sooner,im starting my lessons again next week :) i cant wait as shes a very good teacher and we seemed to get along well,she was also happy i told her my secrete to always knowing your perfect 5th ;) which is very simple but not many people know it.

Thanks people all sorted as posted :)

Hi Flukey Yu hav me intreeged and i thinke yur cemment on knot been abel too spel iss to put uss of lernin yur secrat formaly to allwase noin a purrfect 5ht. Att precent Im thummin throo `Secrets of the Perfect 5th.` buy Professer Albumen Dohremifahsohlah. (No relation to Dumbledore.) Unlease off coarse yu wood lick too reveel too uss thiss intreegin secretion. Reguards. N.>:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Flukey Yu hav me intreeged and i thinke yur cemment on knot been abel too spel iss to put uss of lernin yur secrat formaly to allwase noin a purrfect 5ht. Att precent Im thummin throo `Secrets of the Perfect 5th.` buy Professer Albumen Dohremifahsohlah. (No relation to Dumbledore.) Unlease off coarse yu wood lick too reveel too uss thiss intreegin secretion. Reguards. N.>:)

Lol ok i will let you all know my little secrete...just think STARWARS when you hear the root note....and its as easy as that...STARWARS!!!

Luke :)

£25 a lesson sounds high to me but as I've never had any maybe not.
When I was in Curly's first thinking about a sax I asked them how much lessons would be and there was another person in there and they said he was a teacher and charged £13.
So it might be worth asking them if you think of changing.

I'm now intrigued as to what people think is reasonable as a lesson fee?

I've not yet had a lesson and have been self teaching for a couple of months, using the Abracadabra book, and also by attending a Training Band since September to learn to play with others.

When I was learning guitar, £20 per hour was the norm about 3yrs ago. Here you appear to think that £25 is a high price for a lesson. In the last few days, I've checked out two teachers in my area for the sax and while one charges £11 for half hour, or £20 for a full hour (which she only offers to the higher graded students), the other charges £22 for 45 mins or £30 for an hour.

After talking to each of them to discuss what I've done so far, what my aims and ambitions are etc, I have opted to go with the higher priced teacher as I felt she was much more pro-active than the other and I am likely to progress further, and structured on a consistent basis (provided I put in my work between lessons of course) than with the other who felt more come-day-go-day-if-you-do-you-do-if-you-don't-you-don't-and-it-will-all-be-at-my-pace-anyhow.

If you were a teacher, with no other income other than students - what price would you think reasonable and fair to put on your time, your knowledge, and your energy? Would it be worth your while to 'give up the day job'?

Mellow D