All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Think Music Heals? Trombone Player Begs To Differ

les3716

Each day, thousands of music students head to band practice with their trumpets, trombones and saxophones.
But they may want to pay a bit more attention to the way they clean out their instruments when rehearsal is over.

One musician learned the hard way about the dangers of not cleaning his horn – after he developed a condition that’s being called “trombone players’ lung.”

A professional musician spends hours each day performing, practicing and teaching with their instruments.

This musician developed a cough and a sore throat, lost 60 pound at a time, had a low-grade fever, “he says. “It was a huge hindrance.”

He suffered for years, his G.P. thought he had asthma, but none of the usual therapies worked.

He went on vacation for the first time without his instrument – and felt better. He began to wonder if the instrument could be making him sick.

He reported this to a medical school, who took a culture from inside his horn!
I’ll spare you the details lol, but here are a few words you can look up – a mold called fusarium, Mycobacterium chelnae-abscessus species organisms.

This stuff inside his instrument was causing an allergic reaction, which led to hypersensitivity.

Most musicians if you talk about cleaning out their instruments, they laugh and make funny remarks about it – we never clean it out!

This musician is now diligent about cleaning out his trombone, here’s what he says.
“I use a rod with a clean cloth and use alcohol – rubbing alcohol or isopropyl alcohol – pour it down, and it cleans out all the germs,” Saxophone players can use isopropyl alcohol spray.

Your health is your wealth!

Les.

ArtyLady

OMG that is gross! :shocked: and very worrying - better go and clean mine out ;}

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Mine get cleaned out every time I play. ;}

but I bought an old sax to restore - and the mcuk that came out of it was ghastly. The previous owner hadn't cleaned it out in years...

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
apparently tyhe goo inside a Scotsman's bagpipes is supposed to be the worst... yish

TomMapfumo

Its not as if trombones are difficult to clean - you only need a decent pull through, and give it a bath in soapy water every few months. There is certainly a bigger health risk from reed based instruments, so I always soak reeds in mouthwash before playing, and generally use chewing gum before and after playing. I gather Nick W uses vodka, which at least makes him less aware of any hygiene risks he may face - do you play "Pickled" reeds....................:shocked::w00t:;}

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Roy Gussman

Hi Les3716,
Any idea where I can purchase the isopropyl alcohol spray Ive have tried all over the place and nobody has heard of it if they have they dont know where to get it, can any body help.
Gusev

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hi Les3716,
Any idea where I can purchase the isopropyl alcohol spray Ive have tried all over the place and nobody has heard of it if they have they dont know where to get it, can any body help.
Gusev
Iso propyl alcohol, aka isopropanol or rubbing alcohol.

Most chemists can sell it, although in a bottle, not a spray. Tell them what you need it for, otherwise you end up with a little bottle that's only good for cleaning a couple of wounds.

Electronic component suppliers sell it as it's used for cleaning switches, contacts, tape heads and so on. But not as far as I know, by your ordinary electrician.

If you end up with the liquid, pour some on a pull through, should do the trick.

Jonners

What an interesting story Les - I must say that I have never heard of any of those organisms but the genus Mycobacterium contains the species which cause both TB and leprosy .

Interesting diagnosis by GP of someone losing 4.5 stone in weight with fever - asthma????!!!!! . There's probably more to the story ....

I'm pretty diligent these days about washing the reed and mouthpiece but I guess we have all experienced that mouldy aroma at some time or other. mmmm Mycobacterium - yummy

Cheers
Ian

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
What an interesting story Les - I must say that I have never heard of any of those organisms but the genus Mycobacterium contains the species which cause both TB and leprosy whilst Fusobacteria can cause something like the oral equivalent of Trench foot.
I'm guessing the original is not too well written, looks to be a bit mixed up, from my primary reference book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycobacterium_abcessus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusarium

Perhaps they found both there, amongst others?

les3716

What an interesting story Les - I must say that I have never heard of any of those organisms but the genus Mycobacterium contains the species which cause both TB and leprosy whilst Fusobacteria can cause something like the oral equivalent of Trench foot.

Interesting diagnosis by GP of someone losing 4.5 stone in weight with fever - asthma????!!!!! There's one for the GMC.

I'm pretty diligent these days about washing the reed and mouthpiece but I guess we have all experienced that mouldy aroma at some time or other. mmmm Mycobacterium - yummy

Cheers
Ian
Hi Ian, If you would like to read the full story, including diagram's of organisms - Please google Think music heals? Trombone player begs to differ.

Regards Les.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom