All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

These Dorian Mode Backing Tracks

Sweet Dreamer

Has anyone posted any recordings improvising over these backing tracks linked to below:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/jazz-backing-tracks.html

I've downloaded these tracks and I'm starting to improvise over them but I'd like to hear what other people did to get some ideas.

So if anyone posted any improv recordings over these I would be very interested in listening to them. I did a forum search on the following and didn't get any results:

Smoothdaddy
The Love Groove
Dorian G

Thanks.

Saxlicker

Well,
There I was just having a restful day and then I read your post.
I played it and kind of liked it so I have recorded and uploaded what I done.
Another day....wooshhh just gone.
But Thanks I enjoyed doing it.
I'm happy for any constructive critisism.
Now a bit late but I'm off to seek Petes approval to use it and will remove it if necessary.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=994353

rhysonsax

Well,
There I was just having a restful day and then I read your post.
I played it and kind of liked it so I have recorded and uploaded what I done.
Another day....wooshhh just gone.
But Thanks I enjoyed doing it.
I'm happy for any constructive critisism.
Now a bit late but I'm off to seek Petes approval to use it and will remove it if necessary.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=994353
Sounds absolutely great - as does the recording of Will You ? that is there too.

Lovely sound and very decent recording. What do you use in the way of mic, effects, software etc ?

Rhys

Saxlicker

Hi Rhys,
Thank you!

Do you remember that is your transcription on Will You?
I thanked you when I put it up a couple of years ago and I thank you again now. Any differences are down to my reading and playing ability. :)

But back to your questions.

Will You
Was done on my old PC with Cubasis. I try not to over do things effects wise but take all the help I can get at the same time and though I can't remember exactly, it would have been reverb only.
That said there were buttons to emulate room size, decay, pre damping and all sorts of wonderful terms I don't claim to understand. I just tweaked and when you read my garage band stuff below you'll see what I aimed for. The mic was either an LCM 89 or SM 58.

The Others
Last year I switched to a Mac and I have recorded these with Garage Band and an SM 58.
I just use a vocal channel and click on live performance. Then in the edit tab I may alter the EQ (I haven't found that very flexible but i'm sure thats just user error).
Thats pretty much it.

Taz

Busking Oracle
I loved your "Will you" but I think I mentioned that at the time. This new piece, "Dorian the Funky" is absolutely amazing! I loved your use of altisimo. It fitted the funk style that you picked really well. I have to say that listening to something that's been played over one chord could become very tedious, but you managed to keep a real spark going on. Top marks. Bloody well done!

Saxlicker

I have to say that listening to something that's been played over one chord could become very tedious,
I know exactly what you mean, and it's what I find difficult to make interesting. Ultimately there are better and more lyrical phrases in my head but I can't get them out. Thats my level of playing!
So thanks for letting me know the spark remained for you thats useful.
It happens in all my tunes (even if there are more changes and that brings even more issues) I am just persevering, I see it as the next step and hoping I jump to it.
So as I say, the fact they are in my head and I keep something going on gives me the hope I'm getting there.

Just for example there is a guy helping me from time to time and he nails sweet phrases over anything so when you hear him you know its possible and you just have to keep plugging away.
Cheers again Taz.

Last edited by a moderator:

compound

I thought Dorian the Funky was great very pro, like Taz say's you kept the spark going and it fitted perfectly. I just thought maybe using a few lower notes and working your way back up to mid and high notes might have helped make it even better. Hey but what do i know, great effort.
Rob.

Sweet Dreamer

Thank you very much Saxlicker,

That is truly an awesome performance. I'm way at the amateur/beginner end of the spectrum, so I'm not going to be able to do anything anywhere near as slick as this. But it's still great to hear what someone played over this track. It's going to help me with my improv attempts even though my phrases and licks are going to need to be quite a bit simpler and slower.

I had already started doing some improv on this but soon got bogged down into doing the same simple licks just over an over again. So I was looking for some fresh ideas.

Thanks for taking the time to record this. It was a great listen! And a great lesson too!

visionari1

Well done,....Saxlicker nowt wrong wi tat, would fit in anywhere.

cheers & thanks for posting

Saxlicker

Hi all,
Thanks you for listening and you comments as I seem to have high jacked Sweet Dreamers thread.
It really was a challenge born out of reading his question and I couldn't help but have a go.

Drewster,
Strange how things happen, I have spent a lot of time on the ska / two tone scene since about '94. Around the south mainly but a few festivals and things further north. Supported many derivatives of the Specials, Selector, Bad Manners, Desmond Dekker, Neville Staples on hi own, prince Buster, the Beat, Lambrettas, Skaboom, intensified e.t.c during that time.
Then......
I switch to a sky arts channel just the other day and find a Specials concert being broadcast. The sax player is a guy called Drew Stansall. Putting the above details together I think to my self.....I thought I would have met him some where along the journey.
Well now I do..... its my pleasure to meet you via the forum!
Thanks for listening too!

Sweet Dreamer

Hi all,
Thanks you for listening and you comments as I seem to have high jacked Sweet Dreamers thread.
It really was a challenge born out of reading his question and I couldn't help but have a go.
I really appreciate you taking the time to make this recording and give me an example of how to improv over this piece. And you did a very professional job to be sure. In fact, too professional for my abilities. But that's ok, I still got some ideas and after hearing your professional playing I think you've "pushed me" up a notch. I'm now trying things that are truly beyond my skills, but that's ok because nothing ventured nothing gained.

However, I would still be interested in hearing any other recordings that people may have posted in the past for any of these backing tracks, or if anyone else would be brave enough to improv this piece after Saxlicker.

I was kind of hoping to hear several examples of how different people approached these backing tracks. Also being a rank amateur myself I wouldn't mind hearing how someone of a similar skill level approached these pieces.

Just a suggestion for Pete, if you know of any recordings of these pieces it would be great if you posted links to them on your web page with the backing tracks so that people can get samples of what other people have done. In fact, if you posted that as a "Contest" or "Challenge" of sorts you might get a lot of entries that you could then post on that page as examples.

Just a suggestion.

drewster123

Hi all,

Drewster,
Strange how things happen, I have spent a lot of time on the ska / two tone scene since about '94. Around the south mainly but a few festivals and things further north. Supported many derivatives of the Specials, Selector, Bad Manners, Desmond Dekker, Neville Staples on hi own, prince Buster, the Beat, Lambrettas, Skaboom, intensified e.t.c during that time.
Then......
I switch to a sky arts channel just the other day and find a Specials concert being broadcast. The sax player is a guy called Drew Stansall. Putting the above details together I think to my self.....I thought I would have met him some where along the journey.
Well now I do..... its my pleasure to meet you via the forum!
Thanks for listening too!
Hi mate
i have played with both Buster and Skaboom in my time so We must have shared a stage at some point then i'm sure - the ska scene is a small world and its a pleasure to meet you too.
Actually i wonder if you used to play in Eastleigh? Charlie Browns i think the place was called? maybe Loony tunes?
I first came into the scene with the Splitters in 97 - but played Eastleigh with ska-boom a few times many years bk
Drew

drewster123

I really appreciate you taking the time to make this recording and give me an example of how to improv over this piece. And you did a very professional job to be sure. In fact, too professional for my abilities. But that's ok, I still got some ideas and after hearing your professional playing I think you've "pushed me" up a notch. I'm now trying things that are truly beyond my skills, but that's ok because nothing ventured nothing gained.

However, I would still be interested in hearing any other recordings that people may have posted in the past for any of these backing tracks, or if anyone else would be brave enough to improv this piece after Saxlicker.

I was kind of hoping to hear several examples of how different people approached these backing tracks. Also being a rank amateur myself I wouldn't mind hearing how someone of a similar skill level approached these pieces.

Just a suggestion for Pete, if you know of any recordings of these pieces it would be great if you posted links to them on your web page with the backing tracks so that people can get samples of what other people have done. In fact, if you posted that as a "Contest" or "Challenge" of sorts you might get a lot of entries that you could then post on that page as examples.

Just a suggestion.
When i get time ill give it a go and post it up here or somewhere - am sure each example will be different depending on your influences and styles will differ - will do me best - should be interesting!!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Saxlicker, really enjoyed your work on those tracks. THe others have said it, just wanted to add that I have a looooooooong way to go.

Saxlicker

Thanks Kev,
Lots of people here are relatively inexperienced as confirmed by many of the posts in the Door Bell section.
If the means to record and listen back to yourselves is available it will pay off. Better still if you are willing to share. This type of thing will put many fears to bed and this forum is a great facility to get helpful comments. I can only think of 2 posters who have destroyed their welcome here in the 5 years I have been a member.
So come on every body if you want to get it out there and talk it through what's stopping you? Everyone is at a different stage of playing and that seems to be respected here totally.
Obviously poorer recording facility will bring poorer results so don't scare you selves when you listen back, take it for what it is.

All I have in my locker is many hours on the horn because I love it.
There are kids studying music and within two years many will surpass my knowledge.
All the best everyone.

Saxlicker

Actually i wonder if you used to play in Eastleigh? Charlie Browns i think the place was called? maybe Loony tunes?
I first came into the scene with the Splitters in 97 - but played Eastleigh with ska-boom a few times many years bk
Drew
Hi Drew
Yes that's right. It was Charlie Parkers to be precise (between the bus station and train station).
The Loonies was the band I was in. The Town Hall about 500 yards away was also where a lot of the gigs were held.
Are you busy gigging at the moment?

Sweet Dreamer

If the means to record and listen back to yourselves is available it will pay off. Better still if you are willing to share. This type of thing will put many fears to bed and this forum is a great facility to get helpful comments.
I record and play back all the time, and yes that does help tremendously. I improve much faster by being able to listen to how horrible I sound. I can hear intonation problems, as well as phrasing problems and timing, etc. I hoping to post my own attempt at improvising over the same track you did just now. Of course my improv will be totally different from yours. Without a doubt. I'm not even going to attempt to copy what you did. It's way beyond my skill level.

So come on every body if you want to get it out there and talk it through what's stopping you? Everyone is at a different stage of playing and that seems to be respected here totally.
I've only been playing since Oct of last year. And I haven't even been practicing a lot during that time. I'm also totally self-learning. And have just discovered that learning scales and improvising seems to be working much better for me than trying to actually play from sheet music. I do that too. But I feel that my time doing improv is far more productive in terms of actually physically learning how to play the horn. I've progress wildly just over the past couple of weeks. It's almost like the flood gates were opened.

Of course I still suck. But I feel like I'm moving forward in a big way. I'm going to try to record over this same backing track and post it. But it's going to be a while yet. It's a long piece (for me), and I tend to run out of ideas and end up just playing the same licks over a lot. So I'm trying to learn a few more ideas so it doesn't sound too boring.

I also have enormous problems with the altisimo register. I've only just now managed to play the high D note. And it's not dependable, but at least I'm playing it. Unfortunately I can't quite hit the high E note yet. No matter what I do it just won't play. I've tried two different fingerings for it and I can't get it to sound with either of them.

I have a cheap horn too though and that might be part of the problem.

Saxlicker

I've only been playing since Oct of last year.

I'm going to try to record over this same backing track and post it. But it's going to be a while yet. It's a long piece (for me), and
Excellent!
I also have enormous problems with the altisimo register. I've only just now managed to play the high D note. Unfortunately I can't quite hit the high E note yet. No matter what I do it just won't play. I've tried two different fingerings for it and I can't get it to sound with either of them.
Thats to be expected.
I had been playing probably 6 years before I managed even one altissimo note with any confidence that it was more than a squeak what so ever.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom