support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Theramin...

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Anyone know anything about theramins? Went to see the Tigerlillies last night and loved some of the stuff the bass palyer was doing with a theramin...
Got a sudden craving to acquire one- anyone know the ins and outs of what makes a 'good' theramin?

Theremin

Jules

You nutter>:)

In a moment of drunkenness I thought about getting one. Pukka ones have two antennae, a horizontal loop for volume and a vertical one for pitch. Lots of cheapo ones just have a single one. Moog are often regarded as the biz. Lots of people build simple ones and flog them on eBay, and I'm sure they're OK for cod sci fi sound effects, but are not the real thing.

Believe it or not there is a web site dedicated to the things - Theremin world, surprise surprise. Lots of info on it.

Jon

PS. If you buy one, I will

(a) want to play with it, and

(b) be convinced you are a nutter

Jon

Yes- I was drunk at the afermentioned tigerlilleis gig but their bass player was superb on T' theramin- going for a hybrid of 1930s Wiemar Cabaret & 1950s Sci-Fi B-movie. The combo- on a few tracks- of operatic vocals, accordion, theramin, bowed double bass and brushed drums made for a fascinatingly different 'sound texture' & was remarkably atmospheric.
I claim the ownership, and insistence on playing, a musical saw already lands me firmly in t'nutter camp!

Yes indeed, Bill Bailey is a master of the Theremin (Jon has the right spelling, after the Russian inventor). See him live or if not get a vid of Part Troll (which will crack you up regardless of the Theremin!).

Theremins work by hand capacitance near the antannae. Bit wierd but takes some skill to get the pitch right.
Colin

What, the Aerial Lead(er), otherwise known as co-axial or twin open line feeder? Can't have been that good or they'd still be in business.

Screened cable would stop a Theremin working quite effectively, so why am I praising this strange instrument when I spend what's left of my professional life trying to persuade people to stop polluting the radio spectrum by stopping stray radio frequency energy escaping from things? Losing it, or lost it already probably....( excuse me all, somewhat weary from glaucoma tests at the 'spital today. At least I could legitimately wear shades indoors afterwards - but it was very bright outside even wearing shades 'cos my pupils were still dilated!).:mrcool

John Otway has been a theremin exponent for a number of years. Its well worth seeing him live ( with or without a theremin !!)

Chad

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom