All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs Theo Wanne 'The Mantra' Tenor Sax

Plod

Hi, Just been poking around on various sites, and I don't know if this is old news or not but Mr Wanne is now making Saxophones, unvailed at the NAMM in January 2012, it appears to have some interesting and inovative design features, wonder if anybody has any experience of this yet, or maybe a bit to soon?. Regards Glyn

Chris98

Hi, Just been poking around on various sites, and I don't know if this is old news or not but Mr Wanne is now making Saxophones, unvailed at the NAMM in January 2012, it appears to have some interesting and inovative design features, wonder if anybody has any experience of this yet, or maybe a bit to soon?. Regards Glyn
Some Pictures: http://store.theowanne.com/products/mantra-tenor-saxophone

Are my eyes correct, is that a ball bearing race on the neck octave mechanism?

Chris

jonf

Views tend to be very subjective when just looking at pics, but the words which spring to my mind are 'naff', 'tasteless' and 'overpriced'.

Gallen

Dang, that "wood plug" looks really cool actually. However.... I think I'll save up and get a custom from amsterdam winds when I'm near my deathbed.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Dang, that "wood plug" looks really cool actually. However.... I think I'll save up and get a custom from amsterdam winds when I'm near my deathbed.
A lathe would be cheaper

llamedos

And here I was thinking that I had the only handmade wooden neck plug this side of Cleckheaton! But mine is made of ebony even though it lacks the bits of plumbing accessory round the body.

Dave

Fraser Jarvis

Yet another generic Taiwanese sax, i think the general consensus is you contact the factory, tell them what cosmetic changes you want making to theire already proven design, how many you want, what finish you want it in, they give you a quote....and bingo another new sax brand is born...

old git

Tremendous Bore
Just one thing, as any racing dinghy owner will know, reticulated finish is faster than polished as it allows a boundary layer to attach to the hull/interior wall and ensuresa similar molecules, water and air in these cases, suffer less friction than passing over a foreign substance.

Another point, wouldn't adjustable angled bearings be better than cartridge, on the grounds they could be tuned?>:)

So will it sound different? Of course it will. Will you or I be able to distinguish that difference? Depends on how much you want to hear it. If you've paid for it, you'd need to hear it and the critics wouldn't as they are not so sensitively attuned as an owner.>:)

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Yet another generic Taiwanese sax, i think the general consensus is you contact the factory, tell them what cosmetic changes you want making to theire already proven design, how many you want, what finish you want it in, they give you a quote....and bingo another new sax brand is born...
If i were rich I would start producing my own line.
Something like "the first saxophone that can be successfully plaid from both ends" (inspired by Steve Lacy).
Or the Alto Saxophone in E, to play with guitar players.
Suggestions are welcome.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Just one thing, as any racing dinghy owner will know, reticulated finish is faster than polished as it allows a boundary layer to attach to the hull/interior wall and ensuresa similar molecules, water and air in these cases, suffer less friction than passing over a foreign substance.

Another point, wouldn't adjustable angled bearings be better than cartridge, on the grounds they could be tuned?>:)
can you explain better? I am sincerely curious.

old git

Tremendous Bore
can you explain better? I am sincerely curious.
It is generally thought that a polished surface provides less friction to air or water flow but this depends on how polished. By reticulated, presume Wanne means sufficiently "rough" to ensure the interior surface retains a one molecule thick boundary layer. As it is the air column within the saxophone resonating along the length of the instrument, any reduction of friction should, note "should" provide a greater volume and less messy sound than a completely smooth interior for the same energy input. Get your emery cloth out and get with it.>:)

Two taper bearings in opposition would provide a more adjustable system than a single ball (cartridge) bearing. That's what the tuneable joke was about.

BigMartin

By reticulated, presume Wanne means sufficiently "rough" to ensure the interior surface retains a one molecule thick boundary layer
I think this is going to happen anyway, no matter how smooth the surface. People who do surface chemistry and such pay a lot of money for powerful vacuum pumps so they can study metal surfaces without a layer of adsorbed gas getting in the way. And on the first space walks (I keep mentioning this but I think it's really interesting!) they were surprised to find their gloves and boots sticking to everything they touched because said gas layer wasn't there to lubricate the contact.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom