All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

M/Pieces - Ligs Theo Wanne Durga

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
I remember seeing these when they were first released, gasping at the price. They're currently for sale in the UK at the eye-watering price of £575. They do look very nice, with some interesting design touches, but the price seems truly excessive.

I've gone and bought one.

No, not for the new price, it's lightly used, under half the new price. Still a hefty chunk of dosh for a mouthpiece, but I felt a bit more inclined to go for it, and to be honest I couldn't resist.

This week I've mostly been incredibly busy and pretty worn out by the time I've got home, but since it arrived I've had a couple of chances to play it. Initial impressions are that it is very, very good. I just slapped on a reed I've been using on my Link 10, which is a touch soft for the Durga, which is an 8, but at least I knew it was a good one. Playing is very easy, the Durga has very little resistance. The marketing blurb says that it is bright but with a fat core. Normally I don't like marketing waffle, but this time it's spot on. It is also very powerful, with a huge dynamic range, whisper to roar. Altissimo is easy too, and it's easy to play down to bottom Bb at pp. Just a joy to play from the first breath. It has that adaptable feel a really good piece does, too, it can be bright or fat at will. I really like the rich, bright sound.

So, very impressed with it, and for the price I paid, delighted. Does it have £575 value in it? Nope. Even at US labour rates I think it's marketing hype trying for inverse price elasticity of demand (for non-economists, the concept that demand goes up as price goes up, the opposite to normal micro-economics). You know, the 'reassuring expensive' twaddle. At half that it's a very good mouthpiece, and I can just about justify the purchase, even though it cost over four times what I paid for the Link.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Thanks for that, hope you continue to enjoy it :)

Jx

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Locality
brighton by the sea
Yup. I've been playing on one of Theo's Tenor pieces all year (his - now discontinued- Amma) and, as you say, they are very, very good indeed (a warm, metal Link feel but with a monstrous kick when required and a real 'turn on a dime' response- still not getting rid of my trusty Berg laren but the more I'm on the Amma the more its pulling me away from y lifelong Berg abit). What are you making of his somewhat strange ligature system?

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
Congrats on your new mouthpiece.
TW's are very good pieces,i play a Gaia on sop and its one of the best I've played,don't think much of the enlightened lig that came with it but it does the job.
A few months back i had on trial a couple of metal alto Kali's again fine pieces but not the sound concept for me,and recently on a visit to London tried a few more but the cost of them new puts me off,i think buying them secondhand like you did is the best way,although you do have to take the risk of hoping that they play well and suit your sound concepts.

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
What are you making of his somewhat strange ligature system?

Hold the reed on OK, that's about it. The mounting for the lig is just unnecessary design, which adds nothing, but it doesn't take anything away either. I gave it another play last night. To be honest I was really too knackered to play, but I did find you can get a surprising amount of variation in the sound by moving the reed back and forth a smidge. As with all thin rail pieces, it tends to squeak if the reed isn't on bang-on straight. If it is, no problem at all.

Fun fun fun.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Locality
brighton by the sea
Watch out for undoing the ligature mount grub screw too far and it falling out.... onto a heavily patterned carpet (I speak from experience... luckily my drummer carries a magnet with him - for no reason I'd previosuly managed to work out but saved me that day!).

mpjbiker

Locality
Hastings, East Sussex
I use a Datta HR on tenor, which I bought second hand without playing it. Fortunately, it is very good indeed, but the poncy ligature is, frankly, rubbish, and means you can't protect the reed with a reed cap. I stuck another lig on, which makes it much more practical and seems to make no differance to the sound.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom