All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

The Wisdom of Youth

MartinL

Many years ago when I first got my radio licence i was trying to learn Morse code in order to upgrade to a class A. The test required fluency at 12 words per minute and I hit a wall at about 8, just couldn't "think" any faster. An old "ham" said to me that the problem was that I was trying to think too much and that instead of "decoding" every letter i should just "go with it" and hear the words.. It was strange to try but soon I had that 12 WPM ticket and faster.

Last night I heard the same advise from a very good young sax player, "stop thinking", "go with it". He's right, so I'm going to give it a try in order to get faster on the keys. Makes sense, thanks Josh I should of thought of it myself.

Young Col

That's good advice Martin. I passed the Morse test in 1969. Don't use it much now but can still manage 15wpm. The commonality between Morse code and music - and the reason you can let go of the individual characters/notes - is because they are not just a series of unconnected tones. They have rhythm, shape, tempo and context. You need to think of the whole picture.

YC
(callsign G3YCR)

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
I never passed the morse test. I got to 12 wpm mind, just never got to do a test.
It amuses my hubby that I have a call sign way older than his, yet he is way older than me :)))
I had to have permission from school to take my RAE, aged 16, the autumn after I took my O-levels.
One of those qualifications that raises an eye-brow occasionally at interviews.
Mandy G6SZK

Young Col

Always worth putting on your CV Mandy. Like music exams. Even if the job is nothing about them, it shows a wider interest in things and a determination to have a go.
I was at Tech College for A levels and it was a CGLI centre so I took the RAE at the same time. A long time back....
We did a trawl on here a year or so back of Caf Sax members who were radio amateurs. Quite a few, including PeeDee, from UK, and several in the USA and a few elsewhere.
YC

old git

Tremendous Bore
YC puts out a good signal, he has an aerial farm that induces great envy. Beveridges at 10 degree intervals, a six element quad for 160 that uses a seven litre V8 to steer it and BBC TV transmitter output valves stolen from Crystal Palace. Ensures plus 30 reports. We always know when he keys up, the street lighting in Croydon dims and Radio 4 long wave drops out.

Nick Cook

I think "just go with it" is a very good technique...but I also think it comes with experience. I couldn't just play like that a while back, but only recently I've noticed that I've been playing tunes from the music and realising and haven't had to concentrate too hard on the dots!!

1954pip

that is a great piece of advice i have suffered from low self esteem all my life but when i starting playing i was trying to think maybe to much but when you just play i can't believe i can do it i amaze my self on a daily basis ,i think it is starting to teach me to believe and when think you can it does come easy,
it's like when you have a day of then go back i was expecting to have forgotten a lot but you don't,i don't understand it but it is like your subconscious is doing it for you .
still not very good but i am better than i was so i must be improving
pip

MartinL

YC puts out a good signal, he has an aerial farm that induces great envy. Beveridges at 10 degree intervals, a six element quad for 160 that uses a seven litre V8 to steer it and BBC TV transmitter output valves stolen from Crystal Palace. Ensures plus 30 reports. We always know when he keys up, the street lighting in Croydon dims and Radio 4 long wave drops out.
:)))

In his dreams maybe LOL Can he make lightning when he keys up?:)

I always enjoyed top band but not active anymore, maybe one day. I'd be rusty on the key but could soon get it back. We had the call sign thread last year didn't we,

De G0JCN (ex G6ZHV)

Young Col

I started on top band Martin. Mostly 80m and other HF, a bit of 6m and some 23cm TV stuff these days.
Back to your textbook Bill - Beverages were designed as receiving antennas. Long wire (ie longer than the wavelength of the lowest frequency required) and terminated by a 600 Ohm resistance to ground. Quite noisy, 0dB gain, but very directional. We had an array at one of my work establishments. Needs a lot of ground - share it with a sheep farmer.
YC

old git

Tremendous Bore
Sheep and 600 ohm termination resistors don't work, the sheep find them deliciously chewy. I am still amazed by your 160 Quad, built out of scaffold tubing and paxolin but using a genuine works ex-Le Mans GT40 MKll Holman and Moody for alignment is totally wrong. Using the Koi Lake as a coolant source and condenser, no, NOT capacitor, only resulted in boiled carp. Much better to let me have the motor to power the new popemobile copy Zimmer frame.

The best advice I ever received was, "You don't have an inferiority complex, you are inferior". Makes life very clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Young Col

It's that crunchy black carbon taste that does it....
Well if you want the motor for the Zimmer I'll just have to get the rotator drive and gear from one of the Army's scrap tank turrets. Don't laugh, I've known it done for just that purpose.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
The best advice I ever received was, "You don't have an inferiority complex, you are inferior". Makes life very clear.
Sadly I think my ex may have said that to me at least once.
But now I am superior :))) :)))

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom