All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

The trouble with playing the sax..

Lloyd

..is that everyone expects you to be into Stan Getz, Charlie Parker etc. Not that I have anything against them or that genre you understand, it's just that I really can't get into it. I've tried, I really have but it doesn't float my boat. Give me Dulfer & Davis over Rollins & Coltrane. Great players, all of them and no offence is meant to anyone who has a different opinion - musical tastes are subjective.
So why the mini-rant? I'm desperately looking for a workshop that accommodates my preferances but it's a bit like buying jeans, I refuse to get the ones where my a**e hangs down by my knees but I don't want Blue Harbour either. Help.

Lloyd

I can't help with the workshop (though I sympathise), but have you tried Gap? ;}
Well, I managed to find some Wranglers. Not cheap, but hey!

I did go to Benslow for a week's course last year, very good but I want something regular that doesn't involve songs off the 'wireless'.

Young Col

Can't help with the workshop Lloyd (although I would hardly put Getz and Parker in the same box!), but I just got some some Wranglers at Debenhams and they have a good selection of makes, plus they quite often have 20%off days.
YC

Chris98

Hi Lloyd,

Levis 512 - I used to wear 501's but I'm sure the fit has changed, expensive yes but they last years. Now boots are my issue, where can I find decent boots? Shoes just aren't made for people who like to walk to places these days!

I know what you mean about music though, I can't get into Coltrane or Parker, I think my tastes are more Blues, Rock and a touch of funk. Although different to your desire to find workshops that favor your musical inclinations, I'm beginning to wonder about my lessons, it seems we have moved away for them the music I like to play. Admittedly I should perhaps be more active in directing the choice of music we are working on but to be fair there seems to be a lack of suitable material, or I'm just not looking in the right places.

I came to the realisation that I'm probably not a jazzer when I bought a load of 'Jamey Aebersold Play Alongs' only to lack any real inspiration to improvise over them, just not my kind of music I guess! Some of the 'Hal Leonard' play alongs suit me better.

Good luck in you endeavors to find suitable workshops.

As an aside last week I went to see John Wilson and his Orchestra's celebration of the MGM musicals, it was a great evening, the musicians were so obviously enjoying themselves as was John Wilson. I was sitting pretty much centrally in the third row from the stage so had a great view. As I watched it I marveled at the quality of the musical scores for those old musicals and the musicianship on display, sometimes you have to see it live to truly appreciate it.

Chris

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
..is that everyone expects you to be into Stan Getz, Charlie Parker etc. Not that I have anything against them or that genre you understand, it's just that I really can't get into it. I've tried, I really have but it doesn't float my boat. Give me Dulfer & Davis over Rollins & Coltrane. Great players, all of them and no offence is meant to anyone who has a different opinion - musical tastes are subjective.
So why the mini-rant? I'm desperately looking for a workshop that accommodates my preferances but it's a bit like buying jeans, I refuse to get the ones where my a**e hangs down by my knees but I don't want Blue Harbour either. Help.
there may be more people like you than you think, and I seem to be stuck with the blue harbour as nothing else seems to fit any more:(

thehunt

Hi Lloyd, i understand your predicament, i don't get Coltrane really but love Getz, Turrentine, Gordon, Ammons but also like Dulfer, i play in a local band and we play all types of music, from Shake Rattle and Roll to Glenn miller so maybe try to appreciate the music for what it is. It might help, but i know some people think we all like the same if it is sax music.
I also love Muse and Rainbow, but then might listen to Outer Mongolian goat herders muisc, you get my drift, pretty ecclectic.
Phil

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom