All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

The Story of Klezmer

Young Col

By chance skimming through the BBC TV i-player list I found a programme on Klezmer. First broadcast on Sunday just gone, 14 October on BBC4 in the Timeshift series.

It is an interesting look at the history of Klezmer as a European Jewish folk/wedding music that all but died by the 1950/60s. There are touches that can be heard in the work of Benny Goodman and Artie Shaw (born Artur Arshavsky) but generally it did not survive the emigration to USA and elsewhere (it was reportedly rejected in the new State of Israel as being part of the old, not the new Jewish outlook). Renewed interest really started in the USA as part of the revival of cultural influences during the 300th anniversary celebrations in the 1970s and it has since spread back to Europe and has become integrated into some forms of classical and popular music (although not always to the liking of purists) and world music generally both within and without the Jewish community.

It is narrated by Michael Grade and has contributions from clarinetist and broadcaster Max Reinhardt and from Barry Fantoni among others.

There have been a few threads that have touched on klezmer and I thought this might interest any of those who missed the prog. Probably still on the BBC i-player until the end of the week.
YC

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulM

Thanks for that Young Col. I've just finished watching and it was delightful. I loved the name of the French band near the end: Yom and the Wonder Rabbis. Klezmer meets Iron Maiden. You couldn't make it up.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
I have friends who play in a Klezmer band here in New Zealand that tour around and have played several WOMAD concerts. They call themselves the Jews Brothers. Excellent musicians and good fun.

old git

Tremendous Bore
As iPlayer increases my technophobia, unable to access the programme. Always thought that the wood/brasswind instrument in Klezmer was the clarinet or has the sax intruded?

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
What is the first thing a Rabbi has to do when someone buys a new saxophone?

(clue: cordier)

Last edited:

jrintaha

Would have been an interesting view, but unfortunately can't be watched outside of the UK.

Young Col

The world music adoption of klezmer includes various different instrumentation line ups from the original - saxes and even trombones....

AndyWhiteford

I caught most of it, I thought I saw my favourite Klezmer clarinet guy,
Giora Feidman get a quick mention , check him out on youtube, a fantastic expressive / emotive player

Zeus

I love them, a great sight to see when in Budapest:)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I caught most of it, I thought I saw my favourite Klezmer clarinet guy,
Giora Feidman get a quick mention , check him out on youtube, a fantastic expressive / emotive player
Wow - never heard of him before. Thanks! I spent most of last night listening to him instead of blowing a sax...

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Here's what Wade wrote...these guys rock in a Yiddish way...:)))

http://www.jewsbrothers.com/

When my nephew was 3 (he's 10 now) he use to call this the "scary music"...:w00t:

Shalom,

Greg S.
Thanks Greg. Guess I was too lazy to look up a web page for them. I've never played with the group, but have played with all the members of the band at some time. I know you are down in Hamilton, but have you had a chance to play with any of them? Nigel Gavin is especially an amazing player.

Greg Strange

Thanks Greg. Guess I was too lazy to look up a web page for them. I've never played with the group, but have played with all the members of the band at some time. I know you are down in Hamilton, but have you had a chance to play with any of them? Nigel Gavin is especially an amazing player.
Hi Wade,

You're right Nigel Gavin is a great player... and an interesting character...

http://www.nigelgavin.com/

Unfortunatley I haven't played with them - I think Roger Manins wife, Carolina Moon has - I think she sings Ladino...

By the way the bass player use to play in a band with Pete Thomas - a small world...

Cheers,

Greg S.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Your right Greg and it fits into this thread as the CD is Caroline singing Sephardic songs with Nigel. This is kind of Spanish Jewish Klezmer and a great CD. Roger is an absolute monster player and I'd never try playing with him, although he has asked me to. I have played with Caroline (Roger was out of town).

There are some great musos in NZ and most are kind enough to tolerate someone like me playing with them.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom