All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

The sound of the modern jazz

alto andy

Can anyone recommend any jazz bands that play music like in the days of parker dizzy monk etc . I'm looking for bands that keep up the tradition also looking for jazz legends to see in concert that still play like they did back in the old days . Cheers in advance for any help :).

Young Col

It depends a bit what you mean by modern. What was modern in the 40s and 50s - broadly bebop and post-bop - is not modern, or at least contemporary, now. Most of the great players who survived that period moved on to find something a little less frenetic and jagged than some of the extremes of bebop, while still keeping the chordal and rhythmic innovations of Bird, Diz and Monk.

Sonny Rollins is still around and visits London most years and even though his style matured, he is still great. Keep a look out for the London Jazz festival gig list. His gigs are expensive though. In a slightly more contemporary post-bop, neo-swing kind of style (I hate categorising. If it swings for me, I like it), amongst Americans, Scott Hamilton is a regular visitor to UK and plays local jazz clubs. There are others in these kinds of styles.

There are plenty of British, european -and from further afield - musicians who still play in a bop-inspired way, albeit modified over time - Alan Barnes, Robert Fowler, Karen Sharp, to name just a few sax players alone.
YC

alto andy

It depends a bit what you mean by modern. What was modern in the 40s and 50s - broadly bebop and post-bop - is not modern, or at least contemporary, now. Most of the great players who survived that period moved on to find something a little less frenetic and jagged than some of the extremes of bebop, while still keeping the chordal and rhythmic innovations of Bird, Diz and Monk.

Sonny Rollins is still around and visits London most years and even though his style matured, he is still great. Keep a look out for the London Jazz festival gig list. His gigs are expensive though. In a slightly more contemporary post-bop, neo-swing kind of style (I hate categorising. If it swings for me, I like it), amongst Americans, Scott Hamilton is a regular visitor to UK and plays local jazz clubs. There are others in these kinds of styles.

There are plenty of British, european -and from further afield - musicians who still play in a bop-inspired way, albeit modified over time - Alan Barnes, Robert Fowler, Karen Sharp, to name just a few sax players alone.
YC
Anything from swing big bands to bebop cool or anything that swings . Love the sound of blues in some of the jam session stuff and love the more romantic styles of charlie parker like the charlie parker with strings . Cheers for your reply and pls keep on educating me as I love the history of jazz it just gets a bit confusing :) .

trimmy

One day i will...
Cheers for your reply and pls keep on educating me as I love the history of jazz it just gets a bit confusing :) .
If you do really wish to be better educated in the History of Jazz then go and buy this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-History...9726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363697016&sr=8-1 this was recommended by a forum member to me last year, i keep it in my cab and read it when on ranks. It's a big book and as i'm not a reader it will take me plenty of hours to finish, it's a very interesting book and worth buying. :thumb:

ps. I got mine from ebay at a fraction of the price (as good as new)

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
If you do really wish to be better educated in the History of Jazz then go and buy this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-History...9726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363697016&sr=8-1 this was recommended by a forum member to me last year, i keep it in my cab and read it when on ranks. It's a big book and as i'm not a reader it will take me plenty of hours to finish, it's a very interesting book and worth buying. :thumb:

I have a mental image of you edging forward in the rank, tome on lap, and bumping into the taxi in front... may that never happen!

Young Col

I think that was me Trimmy and I do highly recommend it. It's a constant companion of mine too.
Andy you mentioned swing... and swinging...and I would recommend you catch drummer John Petters Swing Band at a jazz club. He's very much a traditional to swing player and his swing stuff is in a Gene Krupa vein. It's Goodman, Ellington, Basie stuff, 30s/40s but interpreted by a great rhythm section and two very good reedmen. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS1nzqTRaAk, which gig I was at and I saw them at Epsom last week too. John often plays in the Harlow area.

alto andy

Looking for a living legend?

Check out the great Peter King! You won't be sorry.
I looked at a YouTube video of Peter playing birds saxophone the plastic one brilliant video . I have just booked a table at the 606 jazz club to see him play . Cheers :)

alto andy

You sent me a link for gilad on my other thread he is brilliant I'm trying to find a date in London to go and see him cheers again :).

alto andy

That's on my birthday list cheers mate :)

Adrian63

Sorry, fraid not much to offer. Just wanted to agree that yes, Peter King is indeed a living legend. Yup!!:)

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom