PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones The Raven has flown

dooce

After weeks of prevarication and annoying every sax dealer in 150 miles radius while I methodically worked my way through their stock, the Cannonball has gone. It's replacement has, unbelievably, even more bling factor; it's a 10-year-old-ish Yamaha 875, in black lacquer, with brass keywork and decoration. Looks like a very expensive and exclusive chocolate box. Well, after a frosted nickel and silver sax, you just can't bring yourself to go back to boring old plain lacquered brass, can you.......

Although, honest, I actually chose it because I liked the way it played and its lovely focused, bell-like tone - it just ticked all my boxes. Just got home with it and I am in that state of infatuation where I just can't let it out of my sight. Now need to walk the dog, so wondering if I can take the sax along with me. Make a change from those horrible piercing dog-whistles I guess.

:)

Black and gold is a great look - my Selmer is like that. Only problem is that every scratch shows up! Be particularly careful with the RH thumbrest and the sling hook.

The only compensation is that Ernie Watts' Keilwerth SX90 has exatcly the same wear marks as my Selmer.

Enjoy.

I'm wondering what Mrs Dooce thinks about the new love....>:)

Almost as enamoured as me I think. It's now sitting on the dining room table as a rather striking centre-piece. I'm worried that if it stays there much longer, she will put flowers in the bell.......

P1010548.jpg

black 875s... olvely horns ans look amazing (try a white quantum on one for the final line in blingage!)

Thanks for the top tip Jules! It's currently adorned with a boring, but effective, JJ HR piece. I wouldn't rule out buying a mouthpiece for the bling factor though - I once got hold of a nickel finish Brancher just 'cos it looked good on the old Cannonball! (Played horribly....)

Black and gold is a great look - my Selmer is like that. Only problem is that every scratch shows up! Be particularly careful with the RH thumbrest and the sling hook.

The only compensation is that Ernie Watts' Keilwerth SX90 has exatcly the same wear marks as my Selmer.

I can't comment on Selmer lacquer but the stuff on the 875 is like powder coating - tough as old boots and hardly a mark on it. And the sax could be much older than I thought - the 875 was made from 1988 to 2002 before it became the 875EX, but due to the non-consecutive serial numbering that Yamaha use, there seems to be no way of finding out exactly when it was made. Anyway, be assured that it will be well cosseted!

I can't comment on Selmer lacquer but the stuff on the 875 is like powder coating - tough as old boots and hardly a mark on it. And the sax could be much older than I thought - the 875 was made from 1988 to 2002 before it became the 875EX, but due to the non-consecutive serial numbering that Yamaha use, there seems to be no way of finding out exactly when it was made. Anyway, be assured that it will be well cosseted!

Contact Yamaha with the serial number for date of manufacture. I have the email address if you can't find it.

Contact Yamaha with the serial number for date of manufacture. I have the email address if you can't find it.

Envy lust drool envy lust drool envy lust drool ......STOP IT JOHN

When I bought my 62 on eBay some years ago there was an Alto same as your tenor going at the same time the 62 finished first and I won it, and having done that I couldn't justify going on with the 875 so stopped bidding it sold £1400 ish , it's one of my saxophone regrets that I didn't get it, but at least the 62 proved to be a great horn, just had it serviced and now it's magnificent, I'm sure you will love yours ......John

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom