support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The Piano Theme......Alto Sax

As you know I like your playing, but something just didn't work for me on this piece. Note choices were good, it's just musical fit I guess. Maybe it's that the piano part is so busy to begin with that another layer with different timing accentuation and phrasing gives a cluttered effect. What you are playing is legato and somewhat sparse and could sound good on it's own, but anything sitting on top of those overly busy piano lines would be hard to fit in. IMHO the piece worked for the film because of the tension and nervous energy of the playing that's on the edge of frenetic (it's a piece that should be flowing, but is a little too fast and very edgy). Your playing is just too much of a contrast and I doubt that anything other than a quiet scream in the background would fit.

As you know I like your playing, but something just didn't work for me on this piece. Note choices were good, it's just musical fit I guess. Maybe it's that the piano part is so busy to begin with that another layer with different timing accentuation and phrasing gives a cluttered effect. What you are playing is legato and somewhat sparse and could sound good on it's own, but anything sitting on top of those overly busy piano lines would be hard to fit in. IMHO the piece worked for the film because of the tension and nervous energy of the playing that's on the edge of frenetic (it's a piece that should be flowing, but is a little too fast and very edgy). Your playing is just too much of a contrast and I doubt that anything other than a quiet scream in the background would fit.

Just thinking, if the piano part had a similar reverb to the Alto, less defined arprggios, i think that would have worked

Just thinking, if the piano part had a similar reverb to the Alto, less defined arprggios, i think that would have worked

Thanks for having a listen.I really like it ;}

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of Mr. Nyman's music - its quasi minimalist style I find irritating. I've just heard the full "piano concerto" version on Classic FM and that didn't improve my opinion.

Each to his own.

I enjoyed your playing more than I enjoyed the film:shocked:

I remember when this film came out, it was touted as the great New Zealand film directed by Kiwi Jane Campion, starring Kiwis Sam Neill and Anna Paquin (before she was getting rogered by all those vampires:shocked:), after watching it I came out of the cinema thinking "What the f!@k was that about?":)

Oddly, last night I found a copy of the soundtrack on CD at home - and thought to myself "Where the f@#k did that come from?" :)))...I may play the CD one day...

Keep up the great playing Davey...:thumb:

Greg S.

P.S. Anna Paquin did win an Oscar for her dodgy Scottish accent...

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed your playing more than I enjoyed the film:shocked:

I remember when this film came out, it was touted as the great New Zealand film directed by Kiwi Jane Campion, starring Kiwis Sam Neill and Anna Paquin (before she was getting rogered by all those vampires:shocked:), after watching it I came out of the cinema thinking "What the f!@k was that about?":)

Oddly, last night I found a copy of the soundtrack on CD at home - and thought to myself "Where the f@#k did that come from?" :)))...I may play the CD one day...

Keep up the great playing Davey...:thumb:

Greg S.

P.S. Anna Paquin did win an Oscar for her dodgy Scottish accent...

Thanks for checking it out my man.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom