All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

The One That Got Away...

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
There'll be another. Lots over here, but I suppose shipping and duty would kill most european deals for you.

jonf

If it needs work and a repad it might not be that good a deal. $1870 is about £975, which is quite a lot for a non-playing sax. If it needs a repad that'll add maybe £350 to the price. Personally I'd rather pay £1300 for a horn which plays out of the box. There are certainly plenty around over here for that sort of money, and you can buy a brand new one from around £2k.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Jon, from what's been said in other posts, I think NZ prices are a lot higher than the UK, Germany as well.

Greg Strange

Hi Kev & Jon,

Jon's right on the exchange rate over 900 quid. Good condition Mark I 62 series tenors in NZ usually sell for around the NZD3,000.00 mark (approx GBP1,500) and a re-pad is anything between NZD500.00 to NZD1,500.00 (approx. GBP250.00 to GBP750.00), so I thought it looked a pretty good deal on that basis alone,

and Kev's right on the prices of saxes in NZ.

Funny thing about saxophone prices in NZ I could import a System 54 or P. Mauriat pro tenor from the likes of Thomman including border charges in NZ and would still be cheaper than buying a Yamaha YTS-275 (or the latest equivalent YTS-280?) in NZ. Crazy.

Actually I've been looking at a Borgani Satin Gold (Davey's a bad influence) on the Thomman web-site and I could land one of those in NZ for NZD5,500.00 all up - as a comparison a new Yamaha YTS 82Z is NZD7,000.00... and a Keilwerth SX90R is over NZD10,000.00...

Anyway he's a 62 series Yamaha that Quinn the Eskimo is selling - previously owned by a little old lady from Pasadena...(not!) :)))

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YTS-...773?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d030423e5

and it appears to have a few enthusiasts bidding on it...

Regards, cheers and take care,

Greg S.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter

Greg Strange

After having lost out on the bidding for the 62 series tenor, a couple of weeks ago I received an e-mail from TradeMe saying the seller was extending to me an offer on the horn for NZD1,800.00 - offer to remain in place for 3 days. A couple of hours before the expiry time I accepted the offer.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Feedback.aspx?member=124536

So I am now the proud owner of a mid 1980s 62 series Yamaha tenor. And it plays...better than my Walstein tenor. When I play the Walstein I feel I'm having to wrestle the horn to get a decent sound - with the Yamaha I knew from the first note it was a player and a keeper. The horn plays from low Bb to high F# with no problems although it is going in for a service later this week because it hasn't been played for 10 years. For a horn over 20 years old it's in very good nick - certainly in better condition the one Quinn was selling - with probably 90% of the lacquer intact.

Regards,

Greg S.

visionari1

Good luck with the new Yamaha tenor.

Yeah ain't it amazing, that you can tell from that first note...... especially true with reed and mouthpieces I've found!

Don't agree with your New Zealand prices for getting horns re-padded, I've had my 1935 Naked lady Conn alto re-padded a couple of times, most I've paid including freight was $250 NZ. Danny Wilson in Christchurch (Lyttleton actually) does a good job for me!

Greg Strange

Good luck with the new Yamaha tenor.

Yeah ain't it amazing, that you can tell from that first note...... especially true with reed and mouthpieces I've found!

Don't agree with your New Zealand prices for getting horns re-padded, I've had my 1935 Naked lady Conn alto re-padded a couple of times, most I've paid including freight was $250 NZ. Danny Wilson in Christchurch (Lyttleton actually) does a good job for me!
Thanks Jimu.

If you can get a full re-pad for NZD250.00 this Danny Wilson is worth his weight in gold.:thumb:

KBB in Auckland a few years ago quoted me NZD1,500.00 (yes, one thousand five hundred dollars) for a full re-pad for my 62 series alto. After they quoted me the price I told them I'm glad I didn't own a baritone...:)))

Mine you this is the same firm (KBB), quoted me NZD900.00 for a new Brilhart Levelaire mouthpiece in approx 1994 when Selmer re-introduced the model and it cost approx USD90.00 in the US and the exchange rate was NZD1.00 was equivalent to USD0.50c (fifty cents US). This firm is the importer and distributor for Selmer USA music products in NZ. A few years later I got one from the States myself for NZD190.00c.

At these prices all the wind instrument repair people in Auckland should be driving around in 2012 Rolls Royces...:)

Regards,

Greg S.

P.S. This is the guy I've used the last few years...great service and reasonable prices (and cheaper than KBB)

http://www.accentmusic.co.nz/

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom