support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The obvious thing to do!!

El Robo

What's the obvious thing to do when you've not been playing long and have never even picked up a tenor?

Go to the devil's scrapyard and bid on one! :)

Have only played an alto so was getting a little curious about all the fuss about it's bigger brother. So always believing that 'a faint heart never won a lady' I logged onto ebay and set about searching. So much choice, so little money and knowledge!! :)

Had a chat with the guy who services mine and chucked my hat into the ring. Well my virtual hat...and a virtual ring come to think of it! At least the sax was real.

Found a couple that took my fancy. A yts25 and a yts32. So began the longest week of my life, or so it felt. Now I know why I usually leave the bidding to my wife.

The final day of bidding finally arrived, I could hardly eat but somehow finding the ability to drink more alcohol made the process seem less stressful. And did I win...if so which one...

Well if you are still reading this I won....the yts32. My reaction? Elation, followed by "what have I done?". Followed by well... another drink :) What happened next, well you know, the long long wait for it to arrive

That day is here and OMG. It's like a whole new world. It needs a service I think, but it's so smooth and mellow so so.... well you know :w00t:

had to share my moment with those who would understand

I actually bid on it, in a half hearted sort of way. Not because there seemed anything wrong, but just that I already have ten saxes including two tenors, and I don't really want to stretch my wife's patience too much.

Looked a great sax, the 32s are very nearly as nice as the 62s but cost much less. Get it tweaked by a good sax guy and it'll be all th tenor you ever need. Whether it's all the tenor you ever want, now that's another matter entirely......

Correct Kev
Recently tryed a bunch of tenors at Sax.co at Crowborough and found em all harder to blow and the extra weight not to my liking, maybe I need more time on em? Funny that everyone says Sopranos are difficult, I found them a natural step away from altos, good job everyone is different Eh!
Ciao
Jimu

Well Ive also just made the change. 2 weeks ago took my alto back to the shop I got it from 2nd hand and got nearly all the money back after more than 1 year :shocked: and it needed a service. In exchange + a bit of cash, got a brand new TJ tenor and love it. Just getting over the usual seemingly common problems ie. low notes, and playing different notes to my backing tracks, but get them ok now. I do find it easier to blow than the alto and just love the sound difference, but thats me!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly, I am on the same journey in the opposite direction - having been a tenor player for 15 years, and dabbled in soprano, I am starting to see the attraction of an alto - partly through having played Taz's lovely Earlham alto at a jam night about 6 months ago. There are about 10 of the little b*ggers being watched on eBay right now.

Next stop - the Baritone....:w00t:

I started on Alto too and then a year on (after a blues jam), couldn't resist the lure of the Tenor, then bought a Sop as well but to be honest the Alto and Sop don't get a look in as the Tenor is the love of my life! :D :welldone :sax:

I went to Saxheaven the other day and bought a 1964 Mk6 tenor (I had one years ago and they don't let go). In the window there were two 'low A' baritones. Oh the temptation!!!!.
In 1965, I had a Beaucher baritone, and was rehersing in the Flamingo, when Giorgio Gomelski walked in with Julie Driscoll. He said he wanted her to sing with the band, so O.K. The number she wanted to sing was "Hit the road Jack" - fine. Julie stood to my right and off we go, I'm on the Beaucher - Bla d'la d'la d'la etc. when Julie screams in my right ear "WHAT YOU SAY". Ever since, when someone on my right side speaks to me, I ASK THE SAME QUESTION!

Oddly I have found my tenor, gotta give her a name as she is the new love of my life, easier to blow than my alto. the opposite of what I expected!! Nowhere near as heavy as I expected too. She goes in for a service tomorrow and I miss her already. Is it PC to refer to my sax as 'she' etc...?

Looking for advice as to whether I should concentate on the alto or tenor rather than try to keep up with both? Have concentrated on alto so far but can't resist picking up my tenor. (May have answered my own question there!!) Have n't had a chance to speak to my teacher yet as she does n't teach over the summer.

I don't think it's at all wrong to refer to "her" as er, her! After all, you hold her close to you, you put your lips upon her mouth, you caress her and then you make her squawk like a scalded cat! Yup that sounds female to me! >:):w00t::)))

I named my tenor "Anushka" as she's from the Czech Republic.

As for your other question, I don't think anyone else can advice you on which one to concentrate on. Just play whichever takes your fancy at that moment. I mostly play my tenor, but from time to time my alto gets a look in. I think they are both going to be shelved for something a little different soon (watch this space (or one like it))

Well, this morning I played the tenor for two hours,and the baritone for one in the afternoon. I am gradually coming round to the view that the tenor is enough, and that I will only touch the bari when I really feel like it. It used to be the other way round.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom