support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The neck of my sax swivels. Is that as it should be?

2Piedrasmore

Locality
Oklahoma
Hi. Just got my first alto sax, used. Quite used, I should say. I notice that the neck swivels easily - not totally loose, but I can easily move it with my head while the mouth piece is in my mouth. I'm not thinking I can tighten the screw enough to prevent movement. Is this as it should be or should I take it in to be adjusted? Thanks.

If your sax has never been serviced poo not your watch then I would advise to take it to a tech and have the neck checked and adjusted. It can be the cause of leaks...

I'm not thinking I can tighten the screw enough to prevent movement. Is this as it should be or should I take it in to be adjusted?
I don’t understand “I’m not thinking I can tighten the screw”. Yes you can tighten the screw. Do you mean that you have tightened the screw until it tightens no more but still the neck swivels? If so, have you checked the screw itself? It probably wants to be replaced. The neck should fit snugly into the body and only need a couple of turns on the screw to keep it in place. It shouldn’t be swivelling around madly while you chase the mouthpiece. I think Charlie Parker managed, but he’s Charlie Parker.
If the neck itself is too loose (like a long neck goose) is it the right neck? Take it to a tech.

This is a tech only job. Needs special tools. Don't try and overtighten the neck screw, this does more damage.

However it might not need working on. If the sax plays ok, and the neck only turns if you push hard, no need to do anything.

It should be easy to tighten the neck screw enough so that the neck doesn't move.
If you can't, then I think this is a fairly simple thing for a tech to fix, but don't try it yourself.

If you have just bought a used sax, then it is a very good idea to take it to a tech for a checkup and service in any case.
There is a high probability that there are minor leaks, or little bits of cork missing, which will make it harder to play.

I should know better and check my posts! :rolleyes:

I meant to say "on your watch" but how did the autocorrect turn whatever mistake I may have typed, I have no idea... :confused2:

Quote:- If your sax has never been serviced poo not your watch, etc...
:rofl: Can’t wait to find out what was meant

Somebody crapped on their Rolex, perhaps?:eek:

Greg S.

Hi. Just got my first alto sax, used. Quite used, I should say. I notice that the neck swivels easily - not totally loose, but I can easily move it with my head while the mouth piece is in my mouth. I'm not thinking I can tighten the screw enough to prevent movement. Is this as it should be or should I take it in to be adjusted? Thanks.
Your tech will have a neck tenon expander that actually compresses the brass between two steel rollers and makes it thinner. The brass has to go somewhere so the diameter of the tenon expands---we're talking thousandths of an inch. The problem with a loose neck tenon is not only that the neck can turn while playing, but also that it leaks air making the sax very unresponsive. Shown is the Ferree's neck expander that some refer to as "a can opener expander". Some techs like myself like to "over expand" a tenon and then use a tenon shrinking tool to make it fit. The advantage of this method is that it insures the tenon is perfectly round. The other advantage is that it takes more time and I make more money. :rolleyes:

Ferrees neck expander.jpg

Thanks everyone. The traders I bot from offer to service it for one year. I'll run it past them. My policy has always been "poo not on your watch nor in your sax".