All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Software The Muse Group Acquires Audacity

Wonko

I can't realy see if that is a good thing or a bad thing. From what I understand it would be a good thing.
But you (Randulo) probably have a more informed perspective. What do you think about it?

randulo

Living the dream
Café Supporter
What do you think about it?
Like you, I'm not sure :)
MuseScore seems to be a good organisation, there's a paid tier and a free one. It's hard to know what might be for pay in Audacity. It's one of the best free programs around, and very easy to use once you know how.

Dibbs

Have they really introduced a paid tier to MuseScore? If they have they're not publicising it very well. I use it all the time and it's never asked me for money or suggested I upgrade.

I used Audacity many years ago but didn't think much of it. I imagine it has improved. I'll have to check it out again.

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
One thing that the video mentions as a feature being worked on is "non-destructive, stackable VST effects" which would be great. It's the need to edit (i.e. change) an audio track to apply effects such as Compression or Reverb that makes Audacity a bit clumsy for my main use, which is recording one or more saxophone tracks and combining them to make a stereo audio file.

Rhys

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Sibelius was wrecked when it was bought out. Moved to a subscription model and stuffed anyone with an older paid for version (bear in mind people had paid £400 or more for their versions). Hope nothing similar happens.

Dibbs

Sibelius was wrecked when it was bought out. Moved to a subscription model and stuffed anyone with an older paid for version (bear in mind people had paid £400 or more for their versions). Hope nothing similar happens.
It's licensed under GNU GPL v2. As such it will always be free as will anything derived from it.

Dibbs

One thing that the video mentions as a feature being worked on is "non-destructive, stackable VST effects" which would be great. It's the need to edit (i.e. change) an audio track to apply effects such as Compression or Reverb that makes Audacity a bit clumsy for my main use, which is recording one or more saxophone tracks and combining them to make a stereo audio file.

Rhys
Why don't you use something like Reaper? That would be more suitable for your use case surely.

Clivey

Why don't you use something like Reaper? That would be more suitable for your use case surely.
Lol. Audacity is old internet for sure and has so many users as a result of it being used and taught in most of the educational establishments that don't throw out Mac's to their students for fear of them breaking or being knicked, Those with Mac use garageband as it's part of the system as such.

I love the way the guys slave over their projects on Audacity and they do get great results despite all of the handicaps. It shows determination and a good grasp of sound engineering .
"Audacity is an Audio engineering tool after all".
But you could also say that about Amiga and Atari St an Falcon programs too.

I think it's safe to say that the guys using Audacity are all very aware of all the free Daws and great cheap stuff like Reaper and basically have probably "heard" enough about being geekboy unpaid beta testers .etc etc. It's probably time to let folks choose without fear of some type of sympathy note.
As for it's future, well time will tell but as an open source program it will never never never never die. Fade to - "Mad laughter"

rhysonsax

Café Supporter

'Cos I like Audacity and know my way around it after years of using it. I also do quite a bit of editing of audio tracks which it is good at.

I did try Reaper and Cubase (the simple version) but struggled to make either do what I found easy in Audacity.

Rhys

rhysonsax

Café Supporter

I'm still using Sibelius 7 on Windows and that functions as it always did. But I don't like Avid and their business model for Sibelius as a product, so would move to Dorico if my Sibelius 7 stops working or I encounter bugs.

Rhys

Tenor Viol

Café Supporter
I'm still using Sibelius 7 on Windows and that functions as it always did. But I don't like Avid and their business model for Sibelius as a product, so would move to Dorico if my Sibelius 7 stops working or I encounter bugs.

Rhys
I had Sibelius 5 which cost me £400. It wouldn't work properly with W10 and the only option I was given was a very expensive move to the subscription model. Became totally redundant when I moved to Mac.

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
I had Sibelius 5 which cost me £400. It wouldn't work properly with W10 and the only option I was given was a very expensive move to the subscription model. Became totally redundant when I moved to Mac.

What are you using for notation now and what do you use it for ?

I could probably get by with MuseScore but might move to Dorico which has been developed by the original British team behind Sibelius. Dorico also occasionally offer fairly low cost Crossgrades from Sibelius and Finale and you don't have to stop using your old software.

Rhys

Tenor Viol

Café Supporter
What are you using for notation now and what do you use it for ?

I could probably get by with MuseScore but might move to Dorico which has been developed by the original British team behind Sibelius. Dorico also occasionally offer fairly low cost Crossgrades from Sibelius and Finale and you don't have to stop using your old software.

Rhys
I was doing some composition and also arrangements for the Café Octet...

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
I was doing some composition and also arrangements for the Café Octet...

Are you using MuseScore now or something else ?

If you wanted to get Dorico on your Mac you should look out for their Crossgrade offers, possibly using your old Sibelius licence. I paid under just £120 for my Dorico licence which is normally over £450.

Rhys

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Café Supporter
I used to use Sibelius, but I find that MuseScore does everything that I need.

randulo

Living the dream
Café Supporter
A lot of people use Audacity for speech editing, where it really shines, and use other DAW for music. I use Audacity daily for the little tasks like making practice loops, cutting up long files with multiple songs, etc. It's very fast for editing single tracks and has built in conversion between lossy and lossless formats. One great thing is that you can import a video in Audacity to save the audio track as mp3 or WAV. It's a very handy tool that has no pretentions of being a home studio.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom