support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The Inner Game of Music

les3716

Locality
Belfast - Northern Ireland
Hi everyone, I've just finished reading this book called - The inner game of music!

Its the bestselling guide to improving musical performance.

Has anyone else read this book and if so what are your thoughts?

Its by Barry Green with W. Timothy Gallwey.

Les.

Les, It's next on my list to read. We bought it a while ago and I glanced at it, then gave it to my wife to read first. Style issues apart, she found it very useful and gained a lot of help from it. And she's been able to sort out a lot of things with her flute and guitar playing as a result. I think she summed it up by saying it made you really focus on what you were doing, and aware of your body as you played. and I've seen her adopt this in her playing/meet challenges since she read the book.

Was intending to check/confirm her views, then post a review here. But you've started the ball rolling nicely! Thanks.

I made it to page 122, but can't for the life of me remember why I didn't finish it, but thanks for reminding me about it, I've just dug it out and will start again tonight.

What are your thoughts having finished it, did you put any of it into practice?

Best wishes,

Chris

I made it to page 122, but can't for the life of me remember why I didn't finish it, but thanks for reminding me about it, I've just dug it out and will start again tonight.

What are your thoughts having finished it, did you put any of it into practice?

Best wishes,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I dont want to spoil Kev's review - But yes I have put some of it into practice - I play lead tenor in the Belfast Jazz Orchestra
and had some issues with my solo's, all in my head of course - I found that overcoming these by adapting some of suggestions in the
book - inabled me to preform with a better mindset.

Les, it wasn't a review, was just what my wife told me....

I think it'd help a lot of us if you told us what happened with you.

Les, it wasn't a review, was just what my wife told me....

I think it'd help a lot of us if you told us what happened with you.

I misunderstood Kev - I would need to write a blog to cover all the affects this book has had on me - Like your wife Kev - Focus is the key word!

I keep refering to the book now and again when practising a new piece or a tricky part.

Les.

Hi Kev, I tried to post my blog - but was restricted by Admin?

Les

I was joking, sort of.
Let me take a look, I've a feeling that blogs need to be authorised, Pete may have to do it.

Update
Blog main page says that you need to contact admin - that's Pete.
Suggest you pm him, sorry I can't help.

Les, I checked with Pete. Blogs are for paid subscribers only.

I read this book as a beginner hoping to overcome nerves when playing - found it very interesting. Thanks for reminding me about it, because I suspect I will get more out of reading it again now.

The book reminded me of a business course I went on 25 years ago - run by David Hemery (of athletic gold medal fame for the younger readers) and similar people. I remember that Hemery saying the difference between a gold medal and last place is often down to mental approach rather than athletic ability.

I've just found the following at the website of the company he was part of (Performance consultants international)

In every human endeavour there are two arenas of engagement: the outer and the inner. The outer game is played on an external arena to overcome external obstacles to reach an external goal. The inner game takes place within the mind of the player and is played against such obstacles as fear, self-doubt, lapses in focus, and limiting concepts or assumptions. The inner game is played to overcome the self-imposed obstacles that prevent an individual or team from accessing their full potential.

That is also a good overview of the book.

I found Gallwey's approach very useful in the hugely psychological game of golf, and I don't see why it wouldn't help with musical performing, too.
PS I am still a cr@p golfer :)

I read this book as a beginner hoping to overcome nerves when playing - found it very interesting. Thanks for reminding me about it, because I suspect I will get more out of reading it again now.

The book reminded me of a business course I went on 25 years ago - run by David Hemery (of athletic gold medal fame for the younger readers) and similar people. I remember that Hemery saying the difference between a gold medal and last place is often down to mental approach rather than athletic ability.

I've just found the following at the website of the company he was part of (Performance consultants international)

That is also a good overview of the book.

You can apply this book to many aspects of life not only music - I have a copy in my practise room and refer to it now and again - Brill book.