All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

The Heckler...

Mike

I really love doing these easy type pieces which in my opinion can still
shed interesting emphasis on the content involved.

I wrote The Heckler after I glanced over at my flute and it came to me. Just a mere glance.....Inspiration always comes out of nowhere. In my opinion, always let inspiration come to you. I never go looking for it. It knows where to find me. Writer's block doesn't really exist, it's just that we try and drum up inspiration and that's not the way it usually works. If it's forced it's not inspiration.
I don't think I could haved forced the concept of The Heckler, in thought and practice......It's too abstract.

Anway....

The flute solo passages in this are delicate and simply a reflection of the individual who is up on the stand trying to play with feeling. The flautist waited all day to perform and now the time has come. The flautist begins and plays a few uninterrupted notes while the bright lights fall upon her as miniscule beads of perspiration begin to accumulate around her upper brow. It appears the flautist may get through this thing after all....

However, here comes the heckler who may have had a few and this individual is not at all pleased with what the flautist is playing, or possibly that the instrument happens to be a flute. And so, the heckler, being highly ignorant and determined to alter the flautist's performance, the heckler infuses a relentless barrage of dissonant verbosity.
I focused on having the sax play around a central theme and I expounded on that theme in order to indicate how redundant the heckler had become. The flautist is trying very hard to play through it and the heckler is using everything in his limited vocabulary to get the flautist to fail and ultimately get the flautist to leave the stage out of embarrassment.

As it turns out the flautist played through without as much as a glitch. As the flautist finishes the piece in it's entirety, you could hear the club personal throwing the heckler out onto the street, symbolically as his vapid voice trails off, as in chromatic notes hit the street and scatter...

It turns out the flautist was actually deaf all the while and played by using the vibrations....The flautist had not heard one utterance from the expelled heckler....

The Heckler
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1176814

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Programmatic music suits you. It also gives another dimension when you let us in on the sequence of events. Nice one. Can't remember hearing your flute work before. Nice! Even without the programme I like the contrast between the flute and the sax.

Always a pleasure and delight to hear your music and a treat to hear how you mine your inspirations and compose.

Mike

Thanks Wade!
I like having stories that coincide with the music. There lies an awful lot of inspiration in that kind of concept.

So now, I'm thinking what type of sound (abstract) would a piece of thread make as it hits the edge of the eye of the needle as it's pulled through. Should I add a harmony?

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Sounds like it's a string piece, or is that a piece of string? How long is it? Is it thicker than the eye? Where is the needle stuck? Is the user male of female? Good looking or ugly? Darnig or just that darn button falling off again?

Could just wind up being a sew what.

Mike

Sounds like it's a string piece, or is that a piece of string? How long is it? Is it thicker than the eye? Where is the needle stuck? Is the user male of female? Good looking or ugly? Darnig or just that darn button falling off again?

Could just wind up being a sew what.
lol....I think you may have quite an orchestrated piece all your own!

Or..........possibly, you could step record something with 64th or 128th notes that gives the impression
that the string is being pulled cleanly through. If step recording is not a viable function, depending upon what software you may have, then go over to the piano and run your finger tip along the white keys from bass to treble in a quick motion. There ya go, you've just written a piece of music based on a string/thread being pulled through the eye of a needle! What comes before, or after that, is simply left up to the imagination/abstract.....lol

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom