All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Saxophones The Effect of Plating and Lacquer on Tone and Original Lacquer vs. Relacquer

Though nothing in this post should be viewed as conclusive or final (because it's not) I hope this post is helpful, especially for anyone in search of a sax. These are some common topics that get debated, and there are valid points on both sides of the argument. I'm just hoping to further the discussion, and share some very nice videos by Joel Frahm that are great for comparison.

Link - http://The Effect of Plating and Lacquer on Tone and Original Lacquer vs. Relacquer (Everything Saxophone)

Last edited by a moderator:

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Though nothing in this post should be viewed as conclusive or final (because it's not) I hope this post is helpful, especially for anyone in search of a sax. These are some common topics that get debated, and there are valid points on both sides of the argument. I'm just hoping to further the discussion, and share some very nice videos by Joel Frahm that are great for comparison.

Link - http://The Effect of Plating and La... Lacquer vs. Relacquer (Everything Saxophone)
I call this the chicken or the egg debate.It can never be sussed out as its never ending BUT i think silver plated horns have something i like about them and thats just not how they look.Once again its down to your personal choice,likes and findings.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
For me there's so much difference between the saxes, even the two silver ones that I don't know if you can put it down to the plating or not. One thing's for sure. I preferred the 3rd sax for sound. I love the warm dark sound.

Thanks for posting a real link, Kev. I have no idea what I put there! Anyways, I fixed the original link in the first post now.

Kev, that one was definitely one of my least favorite! I tried not to portray that in the article though... I guess we all have different tastes, and that's a good thing.

BigMartin

Egg came first. No doubt. (I am deadly serious)
I agree. Whatever laid it may not quite have been a chicken, but there must have been an egg. (Not to mention all those dinosaur eggs.) Oh, sorry! Were we talking about saxophones?

jbtsax

Subscriber
Those are very interesting videos. The acoustic scientists have made a very good case that the wall vibrations have no significant effect upon the soundwave inside a woodwind instrument. That said, there were perceptible differences in the tonal quality of all four saxes played. I would have liked to have heard the same four saxes played with the same neck to see if that brought them closer together. Also if the player were blindfolded and handed the saxes in random order it would help to eliminate the variable that the player may have subconsciously played the sax to meet his expectations. Other variables that have an effect upon the sound are the key openings, the shape and size of the resonators, the porosity of the pads, and the smoothness of the bore inside the instrument. Very small differences in the geometry of the bore can have large effects upon the "harmonicity" of each note, which basically means how well the overtones match the pure whole number multiples of the frequency of the fundamental. It has been shown by scientific studies that it is this close to ideal harmonicity that makes an instrument responsive to the player and requires less effort to play in tune. None of the above have anything to do with the finish on the outer surface of the brass tube we call a saxophone.

Jazzaferri

I'm just sittin on a fence
you could say I got no sense
trying to make up my mind, really is to hard a bind
I'm just sittin on a fence

M Jagger/K Richards

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I just love it when yet another person comes up with the theory that shiny horns sound "bright" and dull horns sound er... "dull".

Makes my day.

:)))

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Can you prove it though >:) I will sit on the fence aswell and watch the outcome.

hmmmm - you're the man who's de-lacquered a few saxes to get a better sound, and if I remember rightly, said recently that the silver plate on your yamahas.....

jazzdoh

These are always interesting threads and the question will probably never be definitely answered mainly because you could get two of the same horns,same finish and they will sound different from each other.
I will also sit on the fence,hope its strong enough for all of us,although when my mark VI was de-lacquered when it had a repad(it hadn't got much lacquer on it before the repad)i felt i heard something different but that might have been new pads or just the fact i wanted to hear something better or different.

Brian

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
As Milandro said in another thread: "red cars go faster".
Stands to reason! From my extensive tinkering with saxes I've come to a totally unsatisfactory conclusion- finsh, by and large, doesn't seem to make an appreciable difference- but there are exceptions. I'd challenge anyone not to hear a difference between a Mauriat 66R and the unlacquered version, for example.... Go figure, as they say....

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Can you prove it though >:) I will sit on the fence aswell and watch the outcome.
Big Martin explained it already. The concept of "egg" is less intensive than the concept of "chicken".

This theory does not work with creationists, though.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom