support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The clarinet has changed my tenor reed strength!

Two Voices

I started playing the clarinet mainly because it’s quieter and allows me to keep my chops in good order, or so I thought!

My tenor set-up (before playing the clarinet):

Morgan Fry Tenor Custom Metal Link 9* Mouthpiece
François Louis Gold Plated Ultimate Tenor Ligature
Rico La Voz Medium Soft Reeds</p>

Anyhow, I started playing the clarinet with a Yamaha 4c mouthpiece and a #1.5 Vandoren Blue Box but switched to the following within two days:

Weinberg Bb Clt Mouthpiece Zenith Jazz BDF
BG Super Revelation Ligature
Rico La Voz Medium Hard Reeds

I stuck with that set-up until I could play Chalumeau, Clarion and the Lower Altissimo registers cleanly apart from upping the reed strength to hard from MS!

Today my tinnitus wasn’t too bad and I wanted a stab at recording the sax in my project studio (might start a thread about Ribbon Microphones). Anyhow, I started playing my tenor set-up and the sound was pinched! Then I realised my lovely relaxed embouchure isn’t so anymore. After about twenty minutes I had readjusted but now playing a Medium La Voz!

In doing so, I feel things have changed tonally as well and wonder if that’s down to my clarinet playing. One thing for certain hitting those altissimo notes has become much easier. Before playing the clarinet I was struggling with the altissimo since my layoff. The bell notes are coming back slowly with the Medium La Voz reed but I do need to relax my jaw a bit more than I am currently!

I’m sure doubling will become easier with time as my chops get used to the switching between the two.

Another thing I’ve found is playing outside seems much, much quieter so considering spending more time practicing outside when the weather warms up a bit more!

:))):)))..The thought of Paul with Clarinet and bowler hat, playing trad jazz to a load of bikers..:))):)))

Chris..>:)

Actually my dear fellow I much prefer my trusty Christy’s Epsom Trilby teamed with a pair of Round Ray-ban's :thumb:

The only time I don't wear a hat is with a dinner suit, unless I'm in morning dress then a Top Hat is warranted ;}

if I was to play Jazz to aload of Bikers, would indeed become a tourist attraction, which is not good for a recluse :w00t:

I started playing the clarinet mainly because it’s quieter and allows me to keep my chops in good order, or so I thought!
Today my tinnitus wasn’t too bad and I wanted a stab at recording the sax in my project studio (might start a thread about Ribbon Microphones). Anyhow, I started playing my tenor set-up and the sound was pinched! Then I realised my lovely relaxed embouchure isn’t so anymore. After about twenty minutes I had readjusted but now playing a Medium La Voz!

In doing so, I feel things have changed tonally as well and wonder if that’s down to my clarinet playing. One thing for certain hitting those altissimo notes has become much easier. Before playing the clarinet I was struggling with the altissimo since my layoff. The bell notes are coming back slowly with the Medium La Voz reed but I do need to relax my jaw a bit more than I am currently!

I’m sure doubling will become easier with time as my chops get used to the switching between the two.

Similar issue: reed strength that works at home doesn't work gigging.
Try to practice as a doubler: 10 minutes on clarinet, ten minutes on saxophone (ten minutes on flute?).
It will slow down your progress but you will be more solid.

Please let us know how it goes.

No your probably right but i did see a guy playing a King Silver-sonic one time over there at one of those TT gigs!

Since the centenary in 2007 the TT is attracting more bikers than ever. That year there were more bikers than residents :w00t: Plus guitars seem to be all the rage at the moment over here sadly :(

Last time I was at the TT I think they were still making Silversonics... How time flies.

I think you should come over pretty soon Kev as you be saying the about the Yanagisawa 901 Series next year :p

Not that long, remember UMI had taken over from HN White and were still in production up until the early-mid eighties! some say,, using Japanese components!

That because they were using Japanese components >:)

Similar issue: reed strength that works at home doesn't work gigging.
Try to practice as a doubler: 10 minutes on clarinet, ten minutes on saxophone (ten minutes on flute?).
It will slow down your progress but you will be more solid.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks! I’ve been concentrating more on playing the clarinet and picking the sax up occasionally. I don’t mind the process being slower but would like to double without having adjustment issues. So if it makes me a more solid player I do that. I did try this once before but doubling on a Tenor and a soprano but struggled with the Soprano at the time. Looking back it may have been too soon to double. Having said that I did find the high frequency really affected my hearing! I’ll let you know how it goes after a week and see if there are signs of improvement!

Would he then be known as Acker Bulk.......................................................................;}

I wondered how long it would take before my well-honed dough-body physique that makes Homer Simpson look anorexic would dragged into this topic! :crying:

Today my tinnitus wasn’t too bad and I wanted a stab at recording the sax in my project studio (might start a thread about Ribbon Microphones).
Please do, I'd be interested to hear what you think of them.

All the best,

Chris

Well with the TT just round the corner, why don't we get Pete to book us some tickets, i'm sure he would be able to get a multiple discount! Be nice to meet up all together in a nice place like that, do some jammin, sit round the camp fire, swap stories, listen to Kev telling us all about how he broke the 100mph lap, watch some naked chicks riding bikes etc, only thing is most of the hotels would be booked up by now......but i guess Paul wouldn't mind putting us all up for the week, what do you think Paul, is that OK?

Well with the TT just round the corner, why don't we get Pete to book us some tickets, i'm sure he would be able to get a multiple discount! Be nice to meet up all together in a nice place like that, do some jammin, sit round the camp fire, swap stories, listen to Kev telling us all about how he broke the 100mph lap, watch some naked chicks riding bikes etc, only thing is most of the hotels would be booked up by now......but i guess Paul wouldn't mind putting us all up for the week, what do you think Paul, is that OK?

I doubt you'd be able to book the ferry this close to TT and if you can it'll be very expensive (no group discounts) :( The only other snag I can foresee is you're chances of seeing any naked chicks riding bikes would be almost zilch :(

Plenty of camping places avaliable though with a clean portaloo :thumb: and I know of one cottage available to rent >:)

Apart from that sounds great!!!

How much quieter is the sax than the clarinet?

Is it possible to play real pianissimo on the sax (ie about the level of somebody speaking quietly) on the sax?