All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

The Cafe Trio Grown to Septet

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
My reading of the DCMS guidance is that the max size of an amateur group indoors is 6 people. But more than one group is allowed. Can anyone tell me what this means? Does the sax section count as a “group”?

What Making Music UK have said is quite sensible and it is what we are doing for our big band of 17 players.

• Managing numbers safely within social contact limits: “those attending do not mix beyond what is permitted by the social contact limits
    • This means that the total number of people attending a rehearsal can be more than the social contact limit – but that they must always remain in sub-groups within social contact limits.
      So, the social contact limit at this step will be 6.
    • Making Music advise that you go further than this and treat everyone as a sub-group of 1 – and do not allow for any mixing at all. This will mean your rules can be very simple and clear and make the rehearsal much easier to manage

So each of us will be in a sub-group on their own and not mixing, either within the section or with other sections.

Rhys

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
What Making Music UK have said is quite sensible and it is what we are doing for our big band of 17 players.

• Managing numbers safely within social contact limits: “those attending do not mix beyond what is permitted by the social contact limits
    • This means that the total number of people attending a rehearsal can be more than the social contact limit – but that they must always remain in sub-groups within social contact limits.
      So, the social contact limit at this step will be 6.
    • Making Music advise that you go further than this and treat everyone as a sub-group of 1 – and do not allow for any mixing at all. This will mean your rules can be very simple and clear and make the rehearsal much easier to manage

So each of us will be in a sub-group on their own and not mixing, either within the section or with other sections.

Rhys
That's what we do too.

Jx

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
My reading of the DCMS guidance is that the max size of an amateur group indoors is 6 people. But more than one group is allowed. Can anyone tell me what this means? Does the sax section count as a “group”?
Yes, I think that's what it weirdly means. So tomorrow, strings are entering one door and we must not mix with the woodwind... who will enter by a different door.... Bonkers.

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
Yes, I think that's what it weirdly means. So tomorrow, strings are entering one door and we must not mix with the woodwind... who will enter by a different door.... Bonkers.

Silly unless all the strings live together in a happy bubble and likewise the woodwind.

Simpler and safer to be in bubbles of one as per the Making Music guidance.

Rhys

Tenor Viol

Café Supporter
Locality
Silly unless all the strings live together in a happy bubble and likewise the woodwind.

Simpler and safer to be in bubbles of one as per the Making Music guidance.

Rhys
We've said we won't mix

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Locality
The Malverns, Worcs
We don’t mix.
Everyone arrives at 2m plus intervals, heads to their socially distanced chair & remains there (toilet visits, with face coverings allowed)
During the break in rehearsal, we remain seated, or go outside & stay apart.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Whoop had our first meet since March 2020.

It was fantastic to see you guys again and all things considered I think we played pretty well. Certainly some work to do but it was fun.

Nice cakes too :)

Jx

Tenor Viol

Café Supporter
Locality
The conductor’s arm held up despite dodgy shoulder. More than can be said for his embouchure. To break them in gently, we played a piece with a 4/2 time signature...

Tenor Viol

Café Supporter
Locality
Monthly sax moot yesterday afternoon. We're all rather rusty, some of us more than others... But we did OK. I bought a sax arrangement of Orlando Gibbons' "O Clap Your Hands" several years ago, but we've never played it before. Yesterday we had a go at sight-reading it - something that we wouldn't have tried in the past. It's a fine example of English polyphony from the C17th.

View: https://youtu.be/pV9vKNVwsvk

Reactions: Sue

Tenor Viol

Café Supporter
Locality
Today the octet was a quartet due to various people having other commitments... So they had to suffer me on alto and a bit of tenor, rather than bari and tenor...

_DZ61478.jpg

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
I love it when we are all there but occasionally a smaller group gives us time to work on issues and hear each other more :)

Jx

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom